Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Ugh! 2/5 AKs hand

I think i may have played this extremely horribly, and wanted some opinions.

Both of the other players invloved were aggressive and tricky.

AKs in the small blind, 12 person table.
5 limpers to the Button($750), who makes it 40 to go.
I'm not really sure what to do here, and call($1000 in front of me). (im thinking about folding here, is this wrong? I just didnt really feel comfortable getting involved in this hand)

After i call, all the limpers fold to the player immediately to right of button($900), who raised to 140 total. Button calls, and again, i call. (should i push here? fold? after thinking it through, i probably shouldve pushed or just folded.

Flop is KJ9, with one of my suit. I checked to cutoff, who checked to button, who made it 200.
I decided to reraise and make it 450 to go. I felt doing this would knockout the cutoff unless he had a set of kings( i didnt think hed play the hand the way he did with jj or 99), and i felt button was maybe trying to steal, and if he wasnt, i could make him fold the same hand as mine or a stronger hand than mine (i.e. AA)

Please critique my play
Old 11-12-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Ugh! 2/5 AKs hand

Pushing before the flop with AKs after a bet and a raise is a huge mistake. When you are called in that situation you are at best in a coin flip situation but most likely dominated. I like the post flop raise as long as you are able to get away from this hand if a player comes back over the top of you. As has been said in this forum before and I am sure you know, you dont usually win big pots in deep stacked NL with TPTK hands.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:03 PM

I'll take a stab, 12 person table?!? Holy! calling that first raise is very bad IMO - 5 players still left to act after you, fold or raise. What was the standard opening raise at this table? Had the button raised PF previously? What was the size of his raises and what kind of hands did he raise with?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:09 PM

He raises lots of hands alot of times. Especially on the button, with lots of limpers, hell make a decent raise and try to pick up the pot. I was quite confident i had a better hand than him. (By better i mean in the context that AKs is better than 33). Do you think i should have raised and tried to iso him? What then if the cutoff reraises me? Easy fold?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:11 PM

A note about the cutoff : He's not very good, though he does change gears well, sometimes hell be very loose aggressive. But he called an UTG limp reraise all in of mine when he had 77 earlier in the night.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:26 PM

Raise to about $150 and try to isolate the loose button, if you get a substantial reraise I lay it down since you are most likely a dog to a strong hand. You still have to play this out of position which will be a challenge without a favorable flop.

53%-46% dog to QQ
66%-34% dog to KK
87%-12% dog to AA
Old 11-12-2004, 04:37 PM

The limp reraise from the cutoff is just weird - He could be holding a wide range of hands - If he plays a monster like this, then I'd be surprised. Is he good enough to make this move, because he is positive that the button will fire preflop? I doubt it.

I think calling here is fine for you. Play AK like the drawing hand it is, and maybe you bust somebody.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 PM

Sorry - Didn't complete my thoughts...

I don't think I really have a problem with the rest of the hand. TPTK in a 3 way pot is often not good, but this flop is OK for your hand.

It seemed like you were primarily worried about your preflop play, and IMO, that was fine.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:25 PM

Default RESULTS

Button nearly folded, but eventually called with his 99 for bottom set. He said he was almost positive i had at least jj, but just had to call.
Cutoff said he folded ak(i got in a big fight with him [playful] about how he shouldve led out betting so i would be able to fold )

I guess my biggest problem with the hand was that i felt i played my hand too weakly preflop, but it sounds like some of you guys thought i played it fine...