Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: River call. Obvious?

Turn is an easy call for boat outs + bluff possibility. River is a fold. The pot isn't that big, and you can't be good that often.

Why did he donk the turn instead of going for a check-raise? Maybe he was scared you'd check through. Sounds like a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], IMO.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a standard spot for a free showdown raise on the turn? We're committed to showing down, we may be ahead, and we've got lots of outs if behind. Yeah it sucks getting 3-bet, but he's in the BB, so he could easily have a crappy spade and go passive if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll never fold a better hand by raising, so we should wait to raise if we boat up. That means we don't show aggression until the pot is larger, making even a pair harder to fold, and a good [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] will go to war, in which case we cap.

We also let bluffers keep bluffing. If your read dictates seeing the showdown, let bluffers put in 2 bets against you. Don't scare them off with a turn raise.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:20 AM

I think it has been up before that not folding a set while HU would hardly ever be a mistake and at most a very minor one.

I'm calling and don't care wether it's a spade or wether I win. I don't think theres much to be made from these hands although it always sukcs when your set is busted.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Humor me.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this a standard spot for a free showdown raise on the turn? We're committed to showing down, we may be ahead, and we've got lots of outs if behind. Yeah it sucks getting 3-bet, but he's in the BB, so he could easily have a crappy spade and go passive if raised.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-10-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why raising has a better expectation than calling.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... what's the point? If I boat up and he bets again I'd like to be able to pop him on the river.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why raising has a better expectation than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we're already planning on calling down the river. At least, I am. Raising for a free showdown has us putting in the same amount of bets if he does or doesn't have the flush. In the unlikely event we get 3-bet, we lose one bet but get back a portion of it for those times we fill up on the river. If we're 3-bet on the turn or donked on the river we can fold our set, and occasionally, raising the turn here might induce villain to fold out a superweak flush.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Humor me.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.16 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It does nothing for us. Why possibly pay more to get to a showdown as opposed to calling down for the same price. It's not like he could have a draw here in which we would only get a bet out of him on the turn, but not the river.