Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Folding top pair to the turn CR.

Not many hands on this player either, but he seemed pretty passive. Possibly a calling station type. That doesn't mean he can't get creative (or stupid depending on where you sit).

Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 12-20-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Folding top pair to the turn CR.

I would make this fold live typically, but almost never online. Online there are a number of people who would checkraise any ace in this spot - if you really read him as someone who'd never do this, that's another thing, but it doesn't seem you have a strong read on him. A hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even something like 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is possible. If he has aces up, you have outs. Generally, I probably won't fold this online if I don't know the player well.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM

I would usually call here, sometimes the donkbet is a good hand like AK/AQ/AJ/AT, but completely unconnected with the flop. If he has 2 pair you have hidden outs. And like Jeff says, could be pair+draw combo. I think these scenarios + metagame considerations is enough to often call down in these over-aggressive / tricksy games.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM

Agree this is a call down situation. In addition to possibilities stated by the other posters, you have hidden outs if he has A2 or A4.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 AM

I understand where you're coming from. On the other hand, it should be pretty obvious I have an ace to this player. And the vast majority of the time, players in these seats aren't folding a top pair hand. His play could have been a move, but it looked to me like he was just getting cute/greedy and I didn't want to pay the 2BB in a small pot to look him up. Am I off base here?

- Jim
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Short answer: Are you nuts?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Short answer: No.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, it should be pretty obvious I have an ace to this player.

[/ QUOTE ]
You would never call his flop donk once the other guy folds to pop the turn with an overpair?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:02 PM

Sure I would. But I played my hand very much like an unimproved ace would the vast majority of the time.

- Jim
Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure I would. But I played my hand very much like an unimproved ace would the vast majority of the time.

- Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I don't think you can afford to fold a hand this strong. You're just letting this guy knock you off far too many hands in your range.