Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Default How do you acclimate to moving up? (lc)

just curious how you guys handle moving up a level..

do you tighten up and try to get a feel?

come out with guns blazing?

play your regular game, but just think of it as with higher stakes?

i'm about to move from 25NL to 50NL (i know, no difference) but i'm curious for when i make the leap to 100NL and 200NL)

thanks!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: How do you acclimate to moving up? (lc)

have a decent enough bank roll to play the exact same way you play at the other limits. while this is still small stakes there wont be that much of a difference but you will have to learn to adjust your play as the play will get tougher as you move up. you will need to learn to adjust in other limits as you adjust with current limits from table to table, ie you can loosen up on a tight table and have to tighten up when it is really loose
Old 12-01-2005, 01:45 PM

I worked one 200 table into my normal rotation. I probably played tighter (not by design) as I got comfortable with the bet sizes. After about 2k hands I was 'weaned' off of 100 and just played the 200's. The key is to have a sufficient bankroll so that losing a buy-in or two right off doesn't cripple you or cause you to drastically alter your play.

Grunch's method of taking a shot is good. You set aside a portion of your roll to play at a higher level. If you hit a burner you can move up permanently. If not, you get a feel for the game without any real pressure since you have limited your losses up front.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:50 PM

the hardest thing to get used to is the bet sizes being really big compared to the previous levels. basically, you just do it and eventually you'll get used to it. just play your normal winning game.

when i moved through, i found the $50's to be tougher than the $100's. shrug.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:51 PM

When I moved up from the 50's to the 100s 6max as was in the mindset that I was taking a shot with a couple buyins and that if I lost those, I would move back down. Broke even for the most part in the beginning and lost a little but I got used to the staks and now call the 100s my home, running at close to 5 PTBB/100.

I think its mostly about comfort in the beginning, looking at different raises and larger pots makes you nervous. If you are properly rolled and have discipline to move down, I think becoming used to a new level is just about time.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree witht his as well. I hated the 50s
Old 12-01-2005, 01:58 PM

appreciate the advice guys.

my BR is about 13-14 buyins right now for 50NL so think i'm about ready to make the plunge. the move isn't going to be that crazy in terms of better play or larger stakes, but i know when i see posts about 200NL or 400NL i'm thinking "man, these pots are about half the size of my entire roll right now".

got to love the grind! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree witht his as well. I hated the 50s

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-01-2005, 02:00 PM

It takes some time but it is worth it to build your way up. Im about ready to take a shot at the 200s, but the 100s are pretty juicy right now and I am running well *knock on wood* so we will have to see what happens.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes some time but it is worth it to build your way up. Im about ready to take a shot at the 200s, but the 100s are pretty juicy right now and I am running well *knock on wood* so we will have to see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wholeheartily agree that starting from the bottom is the way to go. you learn so much more than just jumping in the big kid's pool.

my gf has a friend who apparently won $30k in a week playing 5/10 on UB. i respected that (when i wasnt thinking to myself how it's [censored]) until i found out he's just a rich kid who didn't make the grind and just bought in big.