Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-30-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Folded to me in LP with a maniac in the blind

How should I adjust my open-raising range and my postflop play when it's folded to me in LP and there is a maniac in the blinds? Let's assume that there is a 80% chance I will be 3-bet (feel free to talk about how your strategy changes if we drop this to 40%). Coming from a full ring background, I didn't run into this situation much, but with a maniac behind me (to my left and not in the blinds), I tightened up a lot on my open-raises, especially on the K- and Q-high offsuits, while not so much on the Ace high ones, because I perceived them to have more showdown value (I would C/C them down unimproved if the board texture was favorable, i.e. paired).

Anyways, the particular villain in the next two hands was 80/50/4, and I've never seen him fold on any street after a pre-flop raise:

-----------------------

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

I think I should be check/folding the river here, correct? Maybe even the turn?

-----------------

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

I think I should just fold this pre-flop knowing that SB will 3-bet me 90% of the time. However, given that I got myself into this jam, what should I be doing on the flop? I think I can peel then check/fold the turn unimproved. Calling this down was just terrible IMO, even with the double-paired river.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Folded to me in LP with a maniac in the blind

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways, the particular villain in the next two hands was 80/50/4, and I've never seen him fold on any street after a pre-flop raise

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's raising 50%, and will bet every single street regardless of what falls, I don't mind playing all-in mentality poker. I find two starting cards that I like, and get ready to see a showdown (think big cards -- suited connected things don't do well in this situation because you can't get in cheaply and you'll need to show down a made hand to win). Of course, if I should hit top pair or something, I'll push for extra action, but I'm otherwise treating it like an all-in for 3 BB.

Against a player of this type, the flop, turn, and river don't matter that much -- he's betting regardless of what he has. I'd actually prefer seeing a double paired board (second hand) because this means that there's less for him to connect with and you beat some legit hands like 99.

Someone may have a better strategy than this, but I suspect it would require you to be able to control villain, and I don't think that's happening very often.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Cap preflop, don't fold.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:26 AM

Wow, if he's playing that many hands, you have to figure you are winning this hand more often. This seems to be the only way to go. I think the river call is borderline, but again, villain could have any two cards!!
Old 12-01-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I should just fold this pre-flop knowing that SB will 3-bet me 90% of the time. However, given that I got myself into this jam, what should I be doing on the flop? I think I can peel then check/fold the turn unimproved. Calling this down was just terrible IMO, even with the double-paired river.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, I missed this second hand. I think the paired board increases your equity here.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's raising 50%, and will bet every single street regardless of what falls, I don't mind playing all-in mentality poker. I find two starting cards that I like, and get ready to see a showdown (think big cards -- suited connected things don't do well in this situation because you can't get in cheaply and you'll need to show down a made hand to win).

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron, I was thinking much along the same lines, hence why I auto-called these down. The question is though, how low should I open-raise if I know he's gonna 3-bet me 80% of the time? Like I said, I value A-high for showdown value, so I'd probably go down to A6 here, but should I still be open-raising K9? QJ?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Hand 1: easiest of easy caps PF against a moron. I would fold the turn, and would definitely fold river.

Hand 2: i guess a calldown is fine, you may have counterfeited 3x with the river, unless SN has QQ, KK, Ax you are chopping or winning.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:42 AM

The K9 has some showdown value and good high-pair strength so it is at least marginally profitable here (If you're trying to control variance, consider a fold). KQ is obviously a preflop cap against a nut.

The first hand: I'd peel one, and fold the turn. I am beat by ace-high, any joke pair, and some straight cards.
(3,4,5,6,7,A + any PP + stuff that can draw out on you like 98). However, I need to check the math on this.

The second hand: Call the flop and turn for combined reasons of drawing and likelihood of being ahead. Once you're in for 7 SB, you don't have to have 50% equity to continue.
River is an easy call: only things that beat you are AA-TT, Ax, Jx, Tx, 33.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's raising 50%, and will bet every single street regardless of what falls, I don't mind playing all-in mentality poker. I find two starting cards that I like, and get ready to see a showdown (think big cards -- suited connected things don't do well in this situation because you can't get in cheaply and you'll need to show down a made hand to win).

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron, I was thinking much along the same lines, hence why I auto-called these down. The question is though, how low should I open-raise if I know he's gonna 3-bet me 80% of the time? Like I said, I value A-high for showdown value, so I'd probably go down to A6 here, but should I still be open-raising K9? QJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would go as low as any ace, K7+, QT+, and all pocket pairs. This is a total of about 400 hands (about 30%) if I counted right. If I can't raise it, I'll fold it since it sounds like he's not going to let you slide in for a cheap flop. He has taken all the postflop skill out of the game, so everything rests on preflop skill. And the only preflop skill here is hand selection.

Edit: In my mind, the reason to raise is to make sure you get heads up. When he 3-bets, I'll cap only the better hands (AT+, KJ+, 88+ = 10%).