Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-19-2005, 05:07 AM

Default playing top pair (or any pair, for that matter)

This is my first post here about poker. It wasn't until today that I began to understand all of the abbreviations you guys use [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Anyways, what is you guys' opinion on playing top pair after the flop? I'm always scared to play it, since it seems like someone always comes back at me with a bigger hand. Looking at my Poker Tracker statistics, I'm a winner in every situation except playing single pairs. In fact, my losses with one pair are greater than my wins in every other situation.

Here are my one pair stats:

total: 317 (of 739 total)
saw flop: 99
folded flop: 27
folded turn: 71
folded river: 14
went to SD: 33
net loss (total for one pair): 9.48
net loss (when didn't fold one pair): 1.46
hands won $: 15
won % at SD %: 33.33
% of total hands: 42.90

So, it looks to me like I don't play it enough... but on top of that, I must not be playing it right, since I lose either way. Is there any way, within poker tracker, to find out how many hands I would have won w/ a pair, had I not folded them?

FYI I just started playing on Royal Vegas Poker last week at the 0.05/0.10 level... so I don't know if the stats mean anything yet.

Thanks in advance!
Justin
Old 11-19-2005, 05:23 AM

Default Re: playing top pair (or any pair, for that matter)

[ QUOTE ]
total: 317 (of 739 total

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading, don't worry about super tiny samples like this

spend time reading and responding to hand posts here, get Getting Started in HoldEm, and eventually Small Stakes HoldEm
Old 11-19-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
total: 317 (of 739 total

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading, don't worry about super tiny samples like this

spend time reading and responding to hand posts here, get Getting Started in HoldEm, and eventually Small Stakes HoldEm

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon bottonsemt, !!!
you go to arty tabke now@

you wanted head sup!?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:11 AM

Justin,

A big part of your thinking in playing top pair is to start with the right cards. If you're playing big cards and flopping somewhere in the 15-25% range, your top pair is often good because you have a good kicker. If you have top pair and a J or better kicker, play it fast to try to take the pot . . . don't let people hang around and suck out on you. If you're the pre-flop raiser, bet out. If you're in early position, and the pre-flop raiser is in late position, go for the check-raise.

If you're playing ace-suited and catch your ace with a low kicker and more than one opponent, you're very likely behind. This is a tough situation. I like Lee Jones' line here (waiting to be pelted with rotten vegetables from 2+2'ers). Check in early position. Fold to a bet and call in front of you. If you get to bet immediately after the first bettor, raise . . . then hope it checks through on the turn. If it does, you probably need to call a bet on the river.