Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 09:55 PM

Default 6 max standards?(Low poker content)

I just started playing 6 max and I am finding myself stick to full ring starting hand guidlines. I was just wondering what other 6 max players (I know there are a lot here) will play? How weak can one go here? Also, would it be recomended that bluffing for the most part is a bad idea at small stakes?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: 6 max standards?(Low poker content)

There are some good starting hand charts in the heads up & shorthanded forum if you search around.

Yes, you can play a little looser, particularly if first in, but don't take it too far. You still want to play tighter than your opponents, and a lot of the money you make comes from simply being tighter preflop.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just started playing 6 max and I am finding myself stick to full ring starting hand guidlines.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use the same starting hand system no matter how many players are dealt in, but my starting hand selection depends heavily on my position and the positions of the players who have entered the pot ahead of me. Many players play too tightly and passively in late position in full games, but after the first few players fold it is almost like a short-handed game. I will open-raise in each position with the same hands, no matter how many people were dealt in, e.g., I will open-raise with any ace on the button whether it is 10-handed or 3-handed.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, would it be recomended that bluffing for the most part is a bad idea at small stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]
If your opponents call too much, bluff a lot less. There are still some profitable bluffs. Don't try to bluff someone off a hand, but do try to bluff someone off nothing when you have worse.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:20 PM

Here's a good link called 6 max baby steps:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...amp;PHPSESSID=
Old 07-31-2005, 12:39 PM

Would you mind modifying your post to use the URL tag? The long URL is causing every preceding post to scroll off the right side.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:16 PM

Shoot, I'm really sorry about that. I'm too late to edit it. I'll be more carefull in the future.