Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: KJs in the monkey house

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why I asked if I was missing something. Versus their range of hands, I see the difference as about 1.5% in having either hand against their range

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it. Here:

With KQ you are AHEAD of their range more often. Which in turn brings down their edge. Therefore, the margin is wider w/KQ vs their range, than w/KJs, look back, AGAIN.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is why I asked if I was missing something. Versus their range of hands, I see the difference as about 1.5% in having either hand against their range

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't get it. Here:

With KQ you are AHEAD of their range more often. Which in turn brings down their edge. Therefore, the margin is wider w/KQ vs their range, than w/KJs, look back, AGAIN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking back:

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: 28.7484 % [ 00.27 00.01 ] { AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-K8s, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-A2o, KQo-K9o, QJo-QTo, JTo }
Hand 2: 19.6655 % [ 00.19 00.01 ] { random }
Hand 3: 19.6635 % [ 00.19 00.01 ] { random }
Hand 4: 31.9227 % [ 00.31 00.01 ] { KJs }

For what it's worth I call w/KQs here:

Hand 1: 27.9476 % [ 00.27 00.01 ] { AA-22, AKs-A2s, KQs-K8s, QJs-QTs, JTs, AKo-A2o, KQo-K9o, QJo-QTo, JTo }
Hand 2: 19.3093 % [ 00.18 00.01 ] { random }
Hand 3: 19.2785 % [ 00.18 00.01 ] { random }
Hand 4: 33.4646 % [ 00.32 00.01 ] { KQs }

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course KQ is ahead more often. I wasn't disputing that. That wasn't what I was asking about. Obviously KQs is better than KJs. By your numbers it's better than KJs by 1.5% versus the field. My argument is that KJ is ahead enough on it's own, (over 25%) given their(the fields) range, to see the flop versus these 3 opponents. Based on your numbers, it is.

My question was whether I was reading the 31.9% number right for KJs. Meaning you're ahead of their range(all 3 opponents) that % of the time as far as pot equity.

b
Old 12-19-2005, 11:11 AM

bernie,

sounds like joe is emphasizing the amount of equity that opponents lose as well as the equity you gain, kind of like how an interception returned for a touchdown is more than a 7 point swing, because not only did you gain points, I lost what could have been a field goal or touchdown. so in that sense, you're reading it right but joe is saying that's not the difference between them.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like joe is emphasizing the amount of equity that opponents lose as well as the equity you gain, kind of like how an interception returned for a touchdown is more than a 7 point swing, because not only did you gain points, I lost what could have been a field goal or touchdown. so in that sense, you're reading it right but joe is saying that's not the difference between them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your analogy, well done!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your analogy, well done!

[/ QUOTE ]

But this doesn't make sense (at least to me). I understand all of Bernie's last few posts, but none of yours, after the Pstove post.

Your equity with KJs is 31.9%. This means if everyone was all-in, with a $100 pot, your EV would be $31.90.

Your equity with KQs is 33.4%. This means if everyone was all-in, with a $100 pot, your EV would be $33.40.

Your EV is $1.50 higher with KQs, or 1.5%. You don't get to pocket an extra 1.5% of EV (totalling 3%) just because everyone else is worse off under your KQs. There is no "greater than 7 point swing" analogy here, when we are already talking in terms of equity.

Still confused,

alThor
Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your equity with KJs is 31.9%. This means if everyone was all-in, with a $100 pot, your EV would be $31.90.

Your equity with KQs is 33.4%. This means if everyone was all-in, with a $100 pot, your EV would be $33.40.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with usuing PStove is that we aren't all in preflop and we can make up the extra postflop w/position and excellent postflop play.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
This is the problem with usuing PStove is that we aren't all in preflop and we can make up the extra postflop w/position and excellent postflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which goes for both hands. Imo, KJs isn't that much tougher to play in this situation postflop than KQs.

But this also doesn't mean that KJs is -EV to play in this spot. It just means KQs is better.

b
Old 12-19-2005, 03:56 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

[ QUOTE ]
KJs isn't that much tougher to play in this situation postflop than KQs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, however we do increase our chance of domination with KJ versus KQ and that increases our reverse implide odds postflop. With either hand if you hit a pair your going to see it through on this table, the preflop price makes it correct to do so the majority of the time.

KQ dominated by AK(12),AQ(12),AA(12),KK(6),QQ(6) [48 hands]
KJ dominates by AK(12),AQ(16),AJ(12),KQ(12),AA(12),KK(6),QQ(12),JJ (6)[88 hands]

This means that we go from roughly 4% of hands dominating us to 7%, so let's liberally say that this yokel is 3 betting with the top 10% of hands, can you see how bad of shape we are in?