Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-04-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: My new sleep schedule, implementing today

[ QUOTE ]
you will not get enough deep sleep, which is the part that you need the most. So when you're awake you'll still be tired and wont be able to do as much that you want. You'll become grumpy too.

Just be human, and take those 7-8 hours a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that the National Foundation for Sleep is funded mainly by sleeping pill companies, which is why 8 hours a day is the recommended amount of sleep.

I've found, that unless I'm run down, 5 to 5.5 hours is all I need.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM

I'm curious why you want to be awake between 3-9am.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Isn't this just the DaVinci sleep schedule?

edit: just saw the other post..guess he only slept 20 minutes at a time.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 PM

IMO naps (which is essentially all you will be doing) are the worst thing you can do if you want to maintain a healthy sleep schedule. I know some people swear by naps, but I am much worse off long term if I take a nap.

It sounds like you don't have any rigid time commitments. If that is the case, you might want to try a sleep schedule that I used in grad school. It decreased the % of my time that I was sleeping while maintaining a high level of alertness. Basically I switched from a 16 hour day to a 20-22 hour day. Example:

-wake up at 0800 on Monday
-Go to sleep at 0600 Tuesday
-Wake up at 1400 Tueday
-Go to sleep at 1200 Wed

The obvious down side is that it is difficult to coordinate your schedule with the rest of the world, but I was very satisfied and well rested the whole time I was able to do this. I would do it now if it not for my job.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 PM

"Since I don't have too many time constraints or daily responsibilities, I kind of just go to sleep when I'm sleepy and wake up when my body feels like it. This puts me on about a 26 to 28 hour day, which means there are often times when I'm going to sleep at 10:00am and waking up at 6:00pm. It doesn't bother me too much, but it does suck when I feel like lunch and there's no place to go and no one to go with 'cause it's freaking 3 in the morning." -GoT
Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just thought of this new sleep schedule and I'm pretty damn excited. Here's how it goes:

3AM wake up / six hours
9AM sleep / two hours
11AM wake up / six hours
5PM sleep / two hours
7PM wake up / six hours
1AM sleep / two hours

This will give me six hours of sleep everyday. The plan is to be very active during my hours awake so I can fall asleep quickly. I think this will increase my productivity a crapload. Thoughts? I will update this thread with results.

[/ QUOTE ]

you've watched seinfeld one to many times...just make sure you don't wake up in the east river in a garbage bag.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just thought of this new sleep schedule and I'm pretty damn excited. Here's how it goes:

3AM wake up / six hours
9AM sleep / two hours
11AM wake up / six hours
5PM sleep / two hours
7PM wake up / six hours
1AM sleep / two hours

This will give me six hours of sleep everyday. The plan is to be very active during my hours awake so I can fall asleep quickly. I think this will increase my productivity a crapload. Thoughts? I will update this thread with results.

[/ QUOTE ]

you've watched seinfeld one to many times...just make sure you don't wake up in the east river in a garbage bag.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a sack, not a garbage bag.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM

well, at least you left enough awake time to lose your bankroll/stake.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Since I don't have too many time constraints or daily responsibilities, I kind of just go to sleep when I'm sleepy and wake up when my body feels like it. This puts me on about a 26 to 28 hour day, which means there are often times when I'm going to sleep at 10:00am and waking up at 6:00pm. It doesn't bother me too much, but it does suck when I feel like lunch and there's no place to go and no one to go with 'cause it's freaking 3 in the morning." -GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

This quote is hilarious, it describes my sleep schedule and situation exactly. It is strange to operate on a 28 hour day, but for some reason that is just what feels normal to my body. I also have a problem of staying up for 24 hour periods or more, and on the other side of the coin, I have many sleep sessions that last 12 hours.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:10 PM

the problem with uberman's sleep schedule and others like it is that you get [censored] BORED.