Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 11:10 AM

Default am i not doing something right?

Seriously, am i not controlling the pot size or not going all in often enough, what do you think?

Both stacks are around $200, $1/$2 blinds.

Full 10 seats, 5 people called before the flop but all folded when I bet on the flop besides villan

I'm dealt 88

me: Call ($2)
him: Call ($2)
*** FLOP *** : [ 8h 9c 2c ]
me: Bet ($12)
him: Call ($12)
*** TURN *** : [ 8h 9c 2c ] [ 7s ]
me: Bet ($35)
him: Call ($35)
*** RIVER *** : [ 8h 9c 2c 7s ] [ Td ]
me: Bet ($30)
him: Call ($30)
*** SUMMARY ***
Pot: $163 | Rake: $3
Board: [ 8h 9c 2c 7s Td ]
Old 11-23-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: am i not doing something right?

If it was 6-handed, I think you should raise preflop. Postflop looks ok.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:20 AM

It was 10-handed. Looks fine. You potted the flop and got HU. Strong turn bet and then blocked the crappy river.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It was 10-handed. Looks fine. You potted the flop and got HU. Strong turn bet and then blocked the crappy river.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, just bum luck.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM

You've made pot sized bets at the flop and turn then apparently backed off when the four card str8 hits the river. Very good if you're trying to make a blocking bet and induce a raise, but do you call a push here?

I guess this is well done. Hard to figure a calling station. Since your river bet is larger than a blocking bet it is a little confusing. Are you looking for a raise? How can villain continue to call this hand down and not be able to raise?

Since you have nothing close to the nuts, just good middle set, I think your river play is fine. A good time to exercise a little pot control and see what happens. Villains play looks terrible.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:45 AM

I think this is very well played without any read on your opponent. This is just about the minimum you can hope to lose but if the board had paired on the river you would have been able to get most of his stack.
I would like to see if anyone has any alternative lines here, since this comes up often enough.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM

Villain should have pushed the river regardless of his cards... But you played it fine, but I don't make that block bet on the river against good players.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:16 PM

I thought I was betting for value on the river, what exactly is a "blocking bet", Is it a bet that stops your opponent from trying to bluff you out by showing enough strength that he will think you will call? I'm sure I would have called had he reraised all in, can you expect anyone to call down with a J when the implied odds aren't even there?

If I don't make this blocking bet isn't that just going to induce a bluff from any agressive player? Do I have to call because of that possibility?

These situations are very difficult.

Results:
<font color="white">Villan shows A6o (no clubs) for the ass end of a runner-runner straight draw
http://tinyurl.com/ccc8p
</font>
Old 11-23-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was betting for value on the river, what exactly is a "blocking bet", Is it a bet that stops your opponent from trying to bluff you out by showing enough strength that he will think you will call? I'm sure I would have called had he reraised all in, can you expect anyone to call down with a J when the implied odds aren't even there?

If I don't make this blocking bet isn't that just going to induce a bluff from any agressive player? Do I have to call because of that possibility?

These situations are very difficult.

Results:
<font color="white">Villan shows A6o (no clubs) for the ass end of a runner-runner straight draw</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

(i just learned the actual definition of a blocking bet a little while ago)

it's a bet that will get you to a cheap showdown.

you want your opponent to either fold or just call.

if he raises then you can fold confidently.

anyone have anything else to add/fix?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I hope you added this guy to your buddy list.

You want to sit behind this guy when ever possible, and if your dealt anything half decent, raise pots he enters to try to get him heads up and in position. That should pay off your mortgage and put your kids through school.

He tried to donate some chips to you, he just got really unlucky. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You bet this hand nicely, don't let this discourage you.