Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Weird pain in my arm.

When I was 11, I had a benign cyst removed from my arm. (forearm). Theres a pretty noticebale scar there from the day after my stitches were removed, my brother hit me with a tennis ball and the wound opened up a bit. ([censored] he was/is).

Periodically, and especially today, the scar area sends waves of pain down my arm, it just has this pulsating ache, today is the worst it has been in a while (this doesn't happent oo often), and it actually has me wincing.

Why does this happen? Should I be concerned?

*Yes I know OOT sucks for medical advice, but meh. My lunch thread and prizes awarded hold up my end of the deal.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Weird pain in my arm.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was 11, I had a benign cyst removed from my arm. (forearm). Theres a pretty noticebale scar there from the day after my stitches were removed, my brother hit me with a tennis ball and the wound opened up a bit. ([censored] he was/is).

Periodically, and especially today, the scar area sends waves of pain down my arm, it just has this pulsating ache, today is the worst it has been in a while (this doesn't happent oo often), and it actually has me wincing.

*Yes I know OOT sucks for medical advice, but meh. My lunch thread and prizes awarded hold up my end of the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

how long has it been like this (in this episode)? I let a hurt wrist go for months to later find out it was fractured and would need surgery because of my idiocy. If it gets worse or persists for a few days its worth checking out.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how long has it been like this (in this episode)? I let a hurt wrist go for months to later find out it was fractured and would need surgery because of my idiocy. If it gets worse or persists for a few days its worth checking out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over like 8 years. Its not a bone pain. It's definitely in the scar tissue area, the pain go's through my nerve endings. It's subtle but enough to be like "ow".
Old 09-28-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Over like 8 years. Its not a bone pain. It's definitely in the scar tissue area, the pain go's through my nerve endings. It's subtle but enough to be like "ow".

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but how long has it been hurting this bad right now? Past couple of days? How often does it flare up? If it just hurts a little for a day that's one thing, if it gets worse and lasts I'd want to check it out. It may not be a bad idea anyway as it might do this for a long time when there's something you could do now to fix it.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 PM

not sure how much scar tissue you have or if this is possible...but maybe the scar tissure is pushing on some nerves...i know scar tissue can get pretty hard, I've had to have some removed before
Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but how long has it been hurting this bad right now? Past couple of days? How often does it flare up? If it just hurts a little for a day that's one thing, if it gets worse and lasts I'd want to check it out. It may not be a bad idea anyway as it might do this for a long time when there's something you could do now to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it stopped hurting already. Probably won't be back for a while.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Your muscles do not actually heal with muscle tissue, but with "foreign" substances including collagen. The resulting scar tissue is weaker, less elastic, and highly prone to re-injury.

When you have a muscle that has been injured, the initial repair process creates a "patch" of random scar tissue fibers. Like a weak link in a chain, the random alignment of these new fibers becomes a "weak link" in your muscle, leaving it highly susceptible to re-injury.

The problem is that the nervous system essentially "over reacts" to even microscopic areas of scar tissue, by keeping the muscle in a shortened, inflamed, and usually painful state. The inflammation process is the first stage of healing and by keeping the muscle short, the nervous system is trying to protect it from further harm, these reactions however, can continue well past the point of being productive—in fact they can continue indefinitely.

Even a small muscular injury can lead to a chronic pain pattern which persists for months or even years, because the nervous "system stays on alert," waiting for the scar tissue to heal completely and become aligned with the surrounding muscle tissue.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your muscles do not actually heal with muscle tissue, but with "foreign" substances including collagen. The resulting scar tissue is weaker, less elastic, and highly prone to re-injury.

When you have a muscle that has been injured, the initial repair process creates a "patch" of random scar tissue fibers. Like a weak link in a chain, the random alignment of these new fibers becomes a "weak link" in your muscle, leaving it highly susceptible to re-injury.

The problem is that the nervous system essentially "over reacts" to even microscopic areas of scar tissue, by keeping the muscle in a shortened, inflamed, and usually painful state. The inflammation process is the first stage of healing and by keeping the muscle short, the nervous system is trying to protect it from further harm, these reactions however, can continue well past the point of being productive—in fact they can continue indefinitely.

Even a small muscular injury can lead to a chronic pain pattern which persists for months or even years, because the nervous "system stays on alert," waiting for the scar tissue to heal completely and become aligned with the surrounding muscle tissue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart much?

Thank You.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]this makes much more sense!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:07 PM

when they were removing the cyst, did they accidentally leave anything in the opening, like a car or a jetski?

If not, I'd recommend you go get a doctor to check it out duder.