Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: To the Producers of the WPT

This is like a bizarro thread. WPT does give all of that information.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM

Yep, I'm usually pretty lit on Wednesday nights, but I'm pretty sure they show pot size. And they update chip stacks at every break.

But really, another poster hit the point here ... WPT is the Travel Channel's highest rated series (by far), and it has nothing to do with the science behind poker.

Remember, we live in a country (well, not all of us) where Home Improvement was the #1 show, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc sold 25 million copies, and George Bush is the president (Republicans, Texans, and Tone Loc sympathizers, just PM-flame me so as not clog up the board).

When the WPT wizards brainstorm about how to increase ratings, they don't wonder "What would a 2+2er really want to see? I mean the reeeeeally hardcore carpal/tunnel guys ... what gets them geeked about our telecasts?".

Rather, they're thinking about hot outfits for Shana or the Shana equivalent, and snappy alliterative exclamations Mike Sexton can make when someone flops top two pair.

Oh, and they hope for some donkey-ass Danny Nguyen with an Elvis haircut to hit a 274:1 runner runner to win a big pot.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Hey Tommy,
I'm interning at the WPT this summer here in L.A., and just printed out this whole thread. I'm gonna go talk to a couple of the producers & see what they say. I'm sure they'll appreciate everyone's feedback in general.

I have noticed, however, that they do show the blind structure & stack size after coming back from commercial. It's hard to pick up sometimes. Anyway, I'm gonna run over there & see what they say.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM

"I have noticed, however, that they do show the blind structure & stack size after coming back from commercial."

I was talking about always knowing all the stack sizes of all players while all hands are being played.

Tommy
Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM

I talked to one of them, I think they're pretty comfortable with the setup as is. He enjoyed the thread though.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to one of them, I think they're pretty comfortable with the setup as is. He enjoyed the thread though.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably best anyway.... do we really want people to start thinking that all this info is relevant?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

He should reconsider. Overall the WPT brand doesn't have much to set it apart from the other shows these days. A good stack size display wouldn't take too much trouble and would not take that much screen size. But it would set you apart more from the other poker shows.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I have noticed, however, that they do show the blind structure & stack size after coming back from commercial."

I was talking about always knowing all the stack sizes of all players while all hands are being played.

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tommy,

I hear what you're saying. I'd bet someday it'll be cost effective enough for all tournament chips to have microchips in them to where a computer could track that info in real time, but it's probably a ways a way I'll bet. Something to hope for, especially for future WSOP's. Maybe Harrah's will figure out that people would likely pay $29.95 for some sort of a live/semi-tape delayed WSOP final table PPV if it had that kind of info.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, I'm usually pretty lit on Wednesday nights, but I'm pretty sure they show pot size. And they update chip stacks at every break.

But really, another poster hit the point here ... WPT is the Travel Channel's highest rated series (by far), and it has nothing to do with the science behind poker.

Remember, we live in a country (well, not all of us) where Home Improvement was the #1 show, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc sold 25 million copies, and George Bush is the president (Republicans, Texans, and Tone Loc sympathizers, just PM-flame me so as not clog up the board).

When the WPT wizards brainstorm about how to increase ratings, they don't wonder "What would a 2+2er really want to see? I mean the reeeeeally hardcore carpal/tunnel guys ... what gets them geeked about our telecasts?".

Rather, they're thinking about hot outfits for Shana or the Shana equivalent, and snappy alliterative exclamations Mike Sexton can make when someone flops top two pair.

Oh, and they hope for some donkey-ass Danny Nguyen with an Elvis haircut to hit a 274:1 runner runner to win a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post made my day.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:37 PM

They can't keep you totally updated on stack sizes, blinds/antes, and bets for every hand because then the general public would realize how much actual card playing is cut out. Hell, I'd wouldn't be surprised if many of the hands took place in a different order from how they are broadcast.

The illusion has to be of continguous exciting play, not blind steals and flop folds.

cjx