Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Default To the Producers of the WPT

I watched a few WPT shows on TV, when they started. But now I don’t watch them at all. I’d watch if I could play along. But I can’t, because the essential information is not provided.

In order to judge the quality of the betting decisions made by the contestants, and in order think about what I would do in their situations, I must know, as the contestants do, what the pot size is, and what everyone’s stack size is, at all times.

There’s only three pieces of non-personal information. There’s the position, which we can see from home. There’s the cards, which we can see from home. And there's the chip distribution at any given moment, that is, the pot size and the stack sizes, which we’re not allowed to know from home.

Get it right guys. And I’ll watch.

Tommy
Old 07-28-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: To the Producers of the WPT

its a little better than wsop, they don't give u the pot size, rarely tell u what the blinds r at.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 PM

Default They don\'t care if you watch

You're not the target audience.

In fact, they might prefer that you DIDN'T watch, as you (and other knowledgeable players) are more likely to complain about what you're seeing than most television viewers.

That being said, the WPT shows are no longer a priority for me. Too much information is missing to really evaluate what is going on.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

I agree. I think that it would be a simple matter to add this info at the bottom of the screen. Why don't you write to the producers.

Vince
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 PM

If I am not mistaken, they do give the size of the pot on the top left of the screen. My question is, why don't they color in some of those chips? You have to push a stack in just to call the blind! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Default live WPT

have heard that a big market for poker on tv is people trying to learn the game. that is why reruns do just as well as the original. once you have seen about 5 - 10 episodes of WPT you probably have learned everything you can. the only way to really gain anything more from these shows would be to show every hand on like a 5 min delay. hopefully they could better judge the stacks also.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Big stacks look better on TV. (I'm kidding, but it could actually be the reason.)
Old 07-28-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: live WPT

I think the live(5 minute delay) Turning Stone broadcast last year was great. It's a rare chance to watch Phil Ivey play every hand, rather than see him all-in with A-Q and lose like every WPT table he makes. WPT only shows hands where someone is busted or there are a ton of chips at stake, which is exciting for people that don't know much about poker, but I don't see how you can learn much from the WPT shows if you are a regular player.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 PM

Can that broadcast be downloaded? Or can it be accessed in any way now? Are there other boring Pokershows where you see every hand? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can that broadcast be downloaded? Or can it be accessed in any way now? Are there other boring Pokershows where you see every hand? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The FullTilt tourney thing during the WSOP ME was broadcast with a 5 min. delay and AFAIK they broadcast every hand from the final table of 6.

While they could give you more info, the WPT is way better than the WSOP coverage. They at least tell you blinds every once in a while, show the pot size and tell you how much the bets and raises are. I hate on the WSOP circuit coverage now on ESPN how they just say someone bets or raises without saying how much! That plus no pot size display makes it nothing more than a roller coaster ride of flop, turn and river cards. But, that's probably what most people watching like to see -- the excitement of the cards coming off propelling one player to victory and dashing the hopes and dreams of the other player.