Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 09:50 AM

Default shufflers

A buddy of mine played in the main event of the WSOP this year. After he got home, we were talking poker, and I told him about a recent change in my game.

I've been a chip shuffler since I first saw someone else do it 20 years or so ago. Since then I've played a million hands of table poker, shuffling all the while. When you figure between hands and especially hyper-shuffling between betting rounds and everything, I've done the shuffling move with two short stacks of chips, I don't know, at least a million times, probably more like 10 million. That's a lot of times for a finger guy like me to do something with his fingers. Then during my most recent session, I stopped shuffling. Didn't even try really. Just happened. Next session I intent to force the issue to see what else just happens. I was telling my buddy about this and he was reminded of something he saw during the main event of the WSOP last week.

Ten minutes into the first round, he noticed that none of the players at the table except him were shuffling any chips. That's one out of ten shufflers. Whereas at a limit hold'em game, it's more like one out of ten players does NOT shuffle. My buddy wondered, "Are WSOP entrants more at peace than B&M LHE players?" No, that's not it, he deduced immediately. The reason they were not shuffling chips was because they did not know how. They had played most all of their poker while gripping a mouse, not a stack. "Ah, the modern age," he thought.

We realized then that as the world changes so quickly around us, we can count on one thing, at least for now. Brick-and-mortar limit hold'em is where the shufflers roam.

Tommy
Old 07-17-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: shufflers

A Sunday Morning confession; I never even tried to learn how to shuffle chips and I have done all my playing at B&M. What this does or does not reveal about me is probably irrelevant and most assuredly unimportant.

Enjoyable read. I wish you would do a regular ‘Sunday Morning with Tommy’ post every week.

-Zeno
Old 07-17-2005, 11:56 AM

So I guess spotting Nate at a table isn't that easy.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:37 PM

I'm trying to quit because it hurts my freaking wrist.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:39 PM

"I'm trying to quit because it hurts my freaking wrist."

Um, I don't think that's from the chip riffling . . .

TSP
Old 07-17-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually get it my elbow.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try lifting your elbow so there is a straight line from your elbow to your knuckles. If you are just resting your forearm on the table with a bend in your wrist, that will give you pain.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm trying to quit because it hurts my freaking wrist."

Um, I don't think that's from the chip riffling . . .

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it's more the chip twirl (3 chip take the middle one out thingy) than the shuffle...the shuffle doesn't help though. I would do the chip twirl while playing online for hours straight...would take care of my nervous energy.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would do the chip twirl while playing online for hours straight...would take care of my nervous energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find flipping a zippo back and forth is pretty relaxing.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:31 PM

I have a couple of stacks of chips on my desk at home. While playing internet poker I constantly shuffle. It has become sort of an addiction. Besides I don't wanna look like an internet dweeb on my 2 LV trips each year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]