Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: 5/10 QQ gives me heartburn

[ QUOTE ]
You've already decided, by calling the 115, that he doesn't have AA/KK, since there's not enough there to play for set value alone. When you do that, you pretty much commit yourself to pushing a favorable flop, i.e. one that has no A or K in it.

So here's that favorable flop. Now push, and cross your fingers that your initial read was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely by this reasonining then hero should fold preflop, since bb is going to fire at nearly all flops, can play his hand perfectly, and hero can make errors(eg folding to JJ on K high flop etc). Thats not even counting utg as an unwelcome bonus.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM

The confused version in the OP is way more interesting than what actually happened.

creedofhubris got it spot on.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've already decided, by calling the 115, that he doesn't have AA/KK, since there's not enough there to play for set value alone. When you do that, you pretty much commit yourself to pushing a favorable flop, i.e. one that has no A or K in it.

So here's that favorable flop. Now push, and cross your fingers that your initial read was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely by this reasonining then hero should fold preflop, since bb is going to fire at nearly all flops, can play his hand perfectly, and hero can make errors(eg folding to JJ on K high flop etc). Thats not even counting utg as an unwelcome bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero has position and closes the action, which is helpful. UTG is not going to be able to make any moves; he's the one in a terrible spot.

Reraising villain will make one "error" a fair amount of the time, and that is leading out for a substantial bet on any board. Assuming villain has a broad range, hero's going to snap off a fair number of bluffs from AK-missed, 77, random suited cards, etc. Hero may even get his all-in called from a worse hand a fair amount of the time. (After leading out, villain's going to be committed with a smaller pp.)
Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 PM

Fuzzbox, I agree that since you just called preflop, we should get in all in on a favorable flop here. BTW, what range are you giving the bb here that he will reraise with?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Think maybe areraise after the call preflop to eliminate one of these guys and to see where you really are before the flop. Calling sucks