Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: We could use a stickied Stats FAQ

[ QUOTE ]
Who wants to take a stab at it? I can try, but my writing is not the best!

[/ QUOTE ]

My writing is the best, but my poker is not the best. lol I'll be happy to edit for grammar, etc. once a rough draft gets up.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: General Micros FAQ

Here are some links to posts which I find myself looking back at and referring others to often:

7:1 to call suited junk

Clarkmeister's Theorem

Ed Miller on crushing games

"Cleaning up outs" (not because I want to make it onto the FAQ, but because this one really bugs me).
Old 01-13-2005, 06:58 PM

good links.
in my spare time, of which I have none, I will compile if for no other reason than to realize that your "Cleaning up outs" thread WAS ABOUT ME!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
for the record - the "don't ask me why i thought this" is my shorthand for "while playing, i thought this. but upon reflection I realize that it was completely incorrect and i suck at poker."

but i couldn't agree with you more...

-t
Old 01-13-2005, 06:59 PM

We may also want a list of abbreviations. The general forum list on the left is pitiful. (The usual PT things like VPIP and PFR, also TAG, LAG, sLA-P, OESD, EV...)

Which reminds me...

Bison's notes on notes is another good link to have.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:52 PM

Default Re: We could use a stickied FAQ

Sup Micro-nauts,

Cool that this is kind of getting of the ground. Needless to say, I'd be happy to help in any way that I can. Though I have my aspirations, I'm certainly not the poker expert that some of you are. However, the sorts of stuff that'd likely go in the FAQ wouldn't be trade secrets to begin with. (What *are* pot odds, anyhow? j/k...)

Lots of stuff has already been mentioned, but here are some things I would hope would make it into our FAQ:

* What's the micro forum? (What gets posted here, what's the hand converter, what should you do as a new poster (answer: read alot, take part in discussion, POST HANDS), a little about our etiquette (or lack thereof!), etc.)

* Some real basic terminology. I don't think we need to go overboard here, but some key definitions and abbreviations could be helpful. Remember that this is probably where many 2+2ers make their first posts, if they're playing limit.

* A little bit about the search function and how it's kind of super-fly.

* PT stats -- why your BB/100 is less than meaningless after 3000 hands, and why we're going to make fun of you if you ask about it. A little bit about where some of the basic stats (VP$IP, PFR, WTSD, etc) should be and why.

* Links to some of the 2+2 classics. The Crushing Post, Notes on Notes, The Streaks Post (not to be confused with The Streaking Post, which will come later...), etc, etc...

I'm all for mentioning books beginners should read, but I have to admit that I'm from the SSHE-good WLLH-bad camp. I agree that WLLH will save you money if you're a loose beginner, but it's not going to make you a strong player. I claim that if you're reading the 2+2 forums, you want to be a strong player.

Also, we don't need to hit the ball out of the park with version 1 -- we can add stuff as we go.

Those are my thoughts at the moment, anyhow.
-Brian
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 AM

bump
Old 01-15-2005, 02:16 AM

Default *bump*

This is an important thing for this forum -- I don't want to let it slip away
Old 01-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: *bump*

I agree, this is needed. BTW, is there a good link that explains which stats are significant and why? I am particularly interested in blind play, because I have a sneaking suspicion mine sucks.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM

SSHE Preflop Hand Reccomendation Chart

My Thoughts on improving the Micro-Limit Forum
Old 01-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Great idea. I'm afraid that my skills when it comes to the content of the FAQ (or the english language for that matter) are a bit limited but I have an idea that might ease up the work with it. Why not use a wiki as a tool in the writing process? (not sure if it has been suggested earlier in the thread, haven't read all the posts yet)
If you like the idea I could install one at my server, password protect it and then I could hand out passwords to those of you who want to contribute. When it is done we could post the work here at 2+2 or keep it somewhere else. What do you think?