Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: I think I should quit (long)

It's close to call or fold JJ preflop, but you should definite fold it on the flop unless you are against a known maniac. The only hand you truely dominates is TT, but many people won't raise it preflop UTG+2. Most likely you are against QQ, KK, AA, in rare cases you may be against A7, AK, AQ, X9 or total bluff, overall it doesn't justify the call. KK is definitely worth a call, QQ is marginal.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:13 AM

With regards to JJ:

1) It's a paired flop.
2) You have (nearly) the worst overpair.
3) You are calling an all-in, so your fold equity is zero.

With only two of those cons, maybe, but with all three, it's kinda bad. I mean, I know it's hard to restrain ourselves with an overpair. Lord knows I've done the same mistake... In fact, I did something extremely similar just today! So it must be an easy mistake to make.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="C00000">Hero (t710)</font>
CO (t1790)
Button (t935)
<font color="C00000">SB (t1585)</font>
BB (t605)
UTG (t1035)
UTG+1 (t945)
MP1 (t395)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (t120) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets t30</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t450</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t680 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t230.

Turn: (t1510) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1510) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1510
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1510 (t1510), between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t1510).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (two pair, jacks and sevens).
SB shows 7d Kc (three of a kind, sevens).
Outcome: SB wins t1510. </font>

I should have raised pre-flop, or had the discipline to let it go post-flop, or both.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:20 AM

Bleh. I hate the early rounds.

If I limp in with JJ, it's to get to the flop cheap and hit a set. If the board comes paired like that, I might take a stab (maybe even a reraise), but if I get reraised back, I throw it away. Too early to be taking chances.

If I raise preflop with JJ, I'm more likely to not see K7o hitting the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But then, I've got holes in my game, so I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:44 AM

Heh. Good post. In my case, I think it's partly a holdover from limit, especially 6 max. At a full limit game, I could easily find times to fold this, 6 max head up it's a through ticket. So here, headup, I feel weak tight if I fold.

I looked through my PT for some JJ hands, and found a couple that won unimproved in similar situations. I liked joker's post, KK easy call, QQ marginal, JJ probably should fold without a good read.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:06 AM

I would stick it out if I was you, can't remember who said it but

[ QUOTE ]
A positive ROI is a good ROI

[/ QUOTE ]

You just need to work on getting more firsts and less 3rds, I don't see much wrong with your hands you showed, perhaps a bit laggy (in places) but something we grow out of imo.

Regards ML
Old 07-18-2004, 09:43 AM

From Aleo Magus:
[ QUOTE ]

So, in the 1-3 rounds, play only the following in positions 1-7:

22-JJ (limp in, cold call min raises only and maybe not with small pairs 22-66)

PRE-FLOP STRATEGY

LEVELS 1-3

EARLY POSITION (Seats 1-7), play only a pair or AK 1. With JJ or lower, limp in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this supposed to be serious?

k
Old 07-18-2004, 12:05 PM

I think it's meant as a starter strategy, and I think it's a very good approach for newbies. I play a few more hands than this in level 1-3, just posted this to explain why I didn't raise JJ, which is still how I would play it until the bubble.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:15 PM

Thanks, I may try again in a couple weeks. What really jumps out at me is you and another poster call me a maniac and a LAG, which would shock anyone who knows me - rock is much closer to describing my limit play, along with weak tight.

I think my main problem is understanding NL concepts. I've read R/C, but 10+1 SnG's bear little resemblance to the game they talk about.

I think I'm fair at HU play, the 3rds represent a lot of getting beat all in with a better hand. The hands I posted seemed unusual to me - exiting the first level 7 times in 15 tourneys - but that was just the end of two weeks of many 3rds and 4ths.

I have a pretty good grasp of the swings possible in limit play and can withstand some pretty serious slides without blinking. I'm just not sure how that translates to SnG's, and since I'm not sure how I'm playing, a slide like this leaves me uncertain how much is the cards and how much is me. Something that only comes from experience, I guess.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 PM

JJ is rarely not a raising hand.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:20 PM

I raise with JJ and take a lot of flops down with it. I sometimes over play JJ though, and I think I know where the proper middle ground is, I just havent steped there yet.