Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Interesting Hand: Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place

2-5 Private NL game. Preflop I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Wild, but not totally clueless player makes it 15 to go UTG. He has about 400 but is stuck in the game pretty good. I call (I have 300ish). The reason I call is this is the kind of player who might come over the top of me all in with something like 66 if I raise and I really don't need to put my money in like that. Right or wrong, that's my reasoning. Anyway, folded to the BB, a tight-solid player. He calls. This is a little concerning, but since it was a small raise, I'm not too concerned yet.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB checks, steamer bets 15, I call, BB calls. Comments (I know a raise is probably better here, but any merit in calling and seeing what happens on the turn)? Turn is the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I'm not really concerned about the loose player, but am quite concerned the tight player is calling on that ragged flop. A flopped set or aces up that turned a boat is possible. Anyway, BB checks, Wild player bets 35, I call, and now BB comes over the top to make the bet 135 straight. Wildman folds and it's up to me. Your action?

Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hand: Caught Between a Rock and a Hard Place

raise him 15 more to 150 straight. no brainer.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 AM

You didn't give the stack size of the third player which is important. The main problem was your failure to raise on the flop, especially considering it was 3 handed. By failing to raise you allow the lag to draw cheap and learn nothing of the hand of the 3rd player. TPTK is not a slow-playing hand unless headsup against a lag who will keep bluffing his money off or keep betting a weak hand.

Regarding the 3rd player, he knows you have an ace and since he is tight most likely is full already. Had you raised the flop you would have found out if he flopped two pair or a set either by a checkraise or his flat calling, in which case the lag probably would have checked behind on the turn as well allowing you to check and take a free card.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 AM

Huh?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, folded to the BB, a tight-solid player. He calls....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think he would have raised the flop with a big ace?

Based on your view of BB, and him springing to action on 4th street I would most likely fold.

Also what does he think about your play? Its easy for him to raise UTG here, but with you in there as well his raise is more scary.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:30 AM

He respects my play and knows I likely have solid values here. One thing to consider is I'm getting close to even money to call the $100 raise. If he flopped a set, I have 10 outs to a boat or quads. Of course, he'll only call an all in bet from me if the king comes and will get away from most undefulls (this assumes he did flop a set). If he's making a move perceiving my call as weak I could possibly be ahead of a worse ace. I think this is unlikely however.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:53 AM

If you call the turn your goal is to now reach showdown as cheaply as possible.

The most likely scenario will be facing a sizable bet from BB on river, which is why I still fold.

[ QUOTE ]
If he flopped a set, I have 10 outs to a boat or quads.

[/ QUOTE ]
1 ace + 3 kings + 3(six or sevens) = 7 no?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 AM

Calling is basically putting yourself allin.

I wouldn't mind, he could be doing this with AQ-AJ as well as hands that beat you.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:04 AM

Yea, you're right about the outs.

Jeff
Old 05-23-2005, 07:07 AM

Default RESULTS

The river play was also interesting. A jack slid up and my opponent kind of froze up and checked. I checked behind. He tabled 77 for the boat. He said that if it had been anyone but me he bets the river, but he was worried about the Jack filling me up. Interesting. What do you think about his river play? What do you think about me checking behind? If the river is a rag and he pushes can I fold now or did I pot commit myself on the turn? I figure he def can't bet huge again w/o a full house.

Another interesting idea here is that any paint on the end guaranteed me a free showdown.

Jeff