Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 PM

Default 88

Edit: No stats on villain.

My effective position was 2 seats later than normal because of a couple of empty chairs, not that it matters to you aggies who'll raise 88 UTG. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero . . .
Old 10-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 88

I'd call this turn. His 3-bet PF could be a bigger PP, but it could also be AK/AQ with one big spade. He'd 3-bet the flop with the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] unless he's passive, but I don't like raising because you can't really fold to a 3-bet with ~4 outs to beat A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Ax.

Call, and then fold a spade river, call a non-spade river, and raise a non-spade 5 or 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 PM

Thank you. My analysis exactly, with the exception of calling a non-spade non-8 non-5 river. Call again in the face of continued aggression? My plan was to fold the river UI if he followed up. Does that make my turn call incorrect?

Is the only reason I call a non-spade, and presumably non-ace non-king, river the fact that the suited board might indicate ramming the nut-flush draw? What about 2 spades on the flop? What about rainbow?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Does everyone raise this flop? I probably don't, FWIW.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My plan was to fold the river UI if he followed up. Does that make my turn call incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, calling in the hopes of spiking a 5 or 8 only is okay, since you're getting 9:1 on the turn call. But I'd still call the river because you'll be getting 11:1 once he bets the river. Is there a 9% chance that your hand is good? Probably, so I'd call. Most of the time his river bet means you're toast, but that 1-in-11 chance that he's trying to push you off with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kx that never got there is enough to get me to call.

[ QUOTE ]
What about 2 spades on the flop? What about rainbow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to fold the turn in all of these spots -- monotone, 2-flush, and rainbow -- but a lot of respected SS posters have encouraged me to never fold an overpair against an unknown. I still find that a bit too loose a strategy, but it could be correct.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to get CO to fold a low singleton spade if BB has no spade. Plus, I have an overpair to the board, so yeah I raise the flop.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to get CO to fold a low singleton spade if BB has no spade. Plus, I have an overpair to the board, so yeah I raise the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I think it's kinda close. I don't think the sort of CO who will hold a low singleton spade is folding very often here for one or two bets, FWIW. I definitely think it's happening sometimes but combined with how often BB has you in a bad place already (single spade overcards &amp; overpairs) I'm not sure that it's really worth it.

I dunno. I think it's close, I'm mulling it over right now. Right now I'm considering folding the flop.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the sort of CO who will hold a low singleton spade is folding very often here

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the CO is also posting blind. He got trapped in the hand PF and is probably begging for an excuse to get out.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's close, I'm mulling it over right now. Right now I'm considering folding the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I hate the colour boards. I'd consider folding to a flop 3-bet also.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bahing, gaho. I might not have raised headsup. But then again I might have.