Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Never Called Down With King High Before

I do this.

I don't enjoy much about poker these days, but successfully picking off bluffs with K-high is one of the small joys that keeps me going.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He might be loose, but he is passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

As VPIP goes up, a smaller AG number means he is much more agressive than usual. I this case, villain is really agressive. I don't know exactly how the numbers work, but even an AG of 1 with a 90 VPIP is pretty damn agressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way. This guy is playing at least three times as many hands as you do. Now, you also have to take into account his WtSD (if he folds a lot post flop, then the following doesn't work), but his aggression is implying that he bets and raises with just a little less than the frequency you do relative to the number of calls he makes. Given how much he has to be calling (with an appreciable WtSD), and that those hands are almost certainly the trashiest of the trash, he's got to be betting all sorts of crap. This guy is a borderline maniac.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like calling this down, but maybe you had to be there to appreciate it. Feel the force. Rock on.

[/ QUOTE ]Would you have folded on the river or before?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Aaron,
Generally against most opponents I'd fold the flop. Against this guy, maybe I'd take a peek at the turn. The 4 that came looks pretty harmless, and the river pairing the 4 means the chances Villian made a hand are lower, so I can see some reason to continue. It looks like a toss of the coin for toss. Sometimes these guys have hands and sometimes they don't.

I'd have to have been at the table for a while and had a feel for what I thought Villian might do. For example, if he hadn't been caught bluffing in a while, I might figure he was due to try another one. If I'd just caught him in the last orbit or two, I might figure he wouldn't try one again so soon against me.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:01 PM

It's not great but possibly through peer-pressure of previous posts, it does look like a bluff. Hands like J9 with a gutshot or an OESD bet the flop and turn, and then bet the river knowing they can't win any other way. Nothing feels better in poker when you're right about these things, so the pyschological value > BB's.
Plus, <u>we</u> all know you are not at risk of making this a habit, but your table might not have...
Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 PM

I really don't get this. Perhaps those that are showing their support could offer explanations as well.

I can only imagine that the argument relates to this being a way to get a decent number of bets in the center.

I certainly don't think it's the best approach. The guy is willing to jam with air. Awesome. Let's go.

I think the best line is to raise flop. Previous play at the table would determine whether I'd cap or not. If he only calls your flop bet and donks turn, I raise.

Secondly, I'd don't know what your other opponents are like, but this is not so hot for your image. I'm trying to think of how I would react if I witnessed this. I'd peg you as weak. I'd probably call you a little girl (please don't take offense, I'm trying to be honest and constructive). I would then look for opportunities to stick you in between the maniac and myself, fattening my pots and making you fold winners.

In sum, I think you're costing yourself money in this hand and subsequent ones with this line. Also, competition is quite a motivational factor for me, and I fail to see how you can take any satisfaction in calling down each street. And I also think that if his inferior holding should hit while taking this line, it would be to your psychological detriment.

On the other hand, jamming this joint and being right solidifies your confidence and will make your other opponents shudder. They will not want to mess with you, and they will fear getting involved with you and him. And now, if they do, you know they have some serious goods.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:49 PM

Given the my past observations and play with villain I'm satisfied with calling down here. With QJ I'd probably have to fold the flop. I'll never reveal the results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM

I'd call this guy down with QJ and even some worse holdings without thinking twice about it. QJ has showdown value against a 90% VPIP guy
Old 12-16-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, competition is quite a motivational factor for me, and I fail to see how you can take any satisfaction in calling down each street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you one of those guys that thinks Tai Chi is for pussies?

/mc
Old 12-16-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, I'd don't know what your other opponents are like, but this is not so hot for your image. I'm trying to think of how I would react if I witnessed this. I'd peg you as weak. I'd probably call you a little girl (please don't take offense, I'm trying to be honest and constructive). I would then look for opportunities to stick you in between the maniac and myself, fattening my pots and making you fold winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would your weakest hand be if you were to do this? Don't forget, the other guy is going to showdown regardless so you have to beat him firstly. Plus it sounds like you wouldn't go too far if the flop didn't fit so you would be folding some of your hands. Plus you also have to beat me who may or may not have a decent hand. It's a tough job for you imo. Best bet is to grab my seat when I get disconnected. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, competition is quite a motivational factor for me, and I fail to see how you can take any satisfaction in calling down each street.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I made the poor fool put a bunch of money in the pot with the worst hand! And I only have KING-HIGH!" That's pretty satisfying.

[ QUOTE ]
And I also think that if his inferior holding should hit while taking this line, it would be to your psychological detriment.

[/ QUOTE ]

In layman's terms, "You might go on tilt if he draws out on you." That would be true of *ANY* hand, so I don't know why this one is special.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, jamming this joint and being right solidifies your confidence and will make your other opponents shudder. They will not want to mess with you, and they will fear getting involved with you and him. And now, if they do, you know they have some serious goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea where you got the notion that beating villains over the head with K-high "solidifies your confidence". I'd much rather "make money".