Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Playing two overcards and nut-flush draw in early position.

I usually lose the most money playing early position, so I want to know if I played this flop correctly, and what my action on the turn should be;

I have AT of clubs in the BB. Two limpers, I raise. Flop comes 923, w/ two clubs. Being first to act, I raise. One caller, button raises. I 3-bet. Caller cold calls two, button calls. Flop comes 7, not a club. I go ahead and lead, still having a the nut flush draw and overcards.

Is this the correct action on the flop/turn? Or should I check the turn because someone showed strength, calling the bet, which would prevent me from being raised again. Although, if my calculations are correct, I still have pot odds on the flush draw alone even if it costs me two bets to call.

In any case, was my play correct?

Sorry for not posting the hand with a converter, but the converter typically used on these forums doesn't support Full Tilt. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Playing two overcards and nut-flush draw in early position.

Your post is easier to look at like this

[ QUOTE ]

Full Tilt: Some Limit (full ring I assume)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Some folds, once call, more folds, button calls, 1 fold, Hero raises, dude calls, button calls

Flop: (6.5 SB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero bets, dude calls, button raises, Hero 3-bets, dude coldcalls, button calls.

Turn: (15.25 BB) 7 [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero? what's my line and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

That took me about 2 min by the way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now as far as the hand. It's a definate lead on the flop. after the raise I think I just call cause I want to keep dude in there and I haven't made a hand yet.
On the turn I check/call because paying more on the turn when you have a lot of outs makes me want to throw up, but you still haven't made a hand yet.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:04 PM

Check/call on the turn. You're not likely to cause them to fold, and you're not likely to win unimproved. You want to see the river as cheaply as possible. On the flop, you have 1.1-to-1 odds of getting your flush, so with 2 callers you want to pump the pot as much as possible.

On the turn, you're only getting 2.5-to-1, so with only 2 callers, pumping the pot is -EV.

Check/fold the river if you don't improve. Bet or check/raise if you hit the flush. I'd Bet/Fold or Check/Call if I just hit one of the overcards.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 PM

Okay, so the 3-bet on the flop was fine. Which makes sense to me since I can estimate 13 outs (4 outs for overcards and 9 for flush draw, giving me 13). This means I'll possibly win the pot (13 x 4 - 4) 48% of the time going down to the river.

As for the turn, I didn't make a hand, so you're right there was no reason to bet. Given the aggression on the flop I'd probably be almost guaranteed at least one of them would bet.

EDIT:
Thanks nomad for organizing my post.