Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Is Party 3/6 a shorthanded game now?

Previously when 6max games were only available at limits of 1/2, 5/10, and 10/20, it seemed most 2+2ers advocated playing only shorthanded at those limits. In other words, full ring game players would progress through limits of .50/1, 2/4, 3/6, 15/30. Since 3/6 now looks like its mostly 6max tables, should I avoid playing 3/6 full? Im playing 2/4 right now, and Im thinking my move to 3/6 should be prepared for by developing my 6max game at 1/2 6max. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Is Party 3/6 a shorthanded game now?

You can improve your poker-skills tremendously by learning to beat the 6-max games.

I think that hanging around the 1/2 6-max tables and then progressing to 3/6 6-max is a good plan.

this doesn't really have anything to do with whether the 3/6 full games are any good or not (but if they are REALLY lousy then obviously that could be a factor).
The 6-max games are quite profitable and filled with terrible players. And the skills you learn with aggressive 6-max play are similar to what you need to beat the bigger full-ring games (15/30 and up).

If you have ANY aspirations of perhaps SOMEDAY tackling the 15/30 or 20/40 or 30/60 full-ring games then MANY of the mid-high players would recommend you learn to beat the 6-max.

this is coming from someone who took his shot at 15/30 and didn't do so hot...and is RE-re-learning his 6-max skills...but I know that many of the players up there would tell you something like this.

I know that 6-max has helped my game tremendously.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 PM

This is all true. Playing 6-max gives you a much better understanding of hand values. I thought I had full ring game strategy down pretty good when I made the move to 6-max but playing shorter games has taught me a few things. I'd say getting short handed experience is required for anyone who plays the game seriously.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 PM

learning to play short handed is a very big step in your road to becoming a complete poker player. i lost some money learning how to play 5-6 max but it was so valuable, it influences many, many situations in full ring games and helps the way you think about the game.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:02 AM

6max is what its all about. Previous, I had always avoided them...put them off rather. But when the time comes u can beat full games at a decent clip its time to put in the work for shorthanded. Because its sooooo helpful to your game. It behooves u to learn to play short, especially if u want to progress to the mid/upper limits.

After learning short for a few months and getting good at it, when u go back to full, the games are even easier. U are more sure of yourself in marginal situations, tough situations, etc.

I think its a hill everyone that is serious about that game, is going ot have to climb. Tough at first, takes a lot of work as anything in poker does. But very worth it.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 AM

It's not as black and white as you make it sound. However, the games tend to be quite a bit looser at the 6-max games for this limit then full ring. Likely because all the "action junkies" get more action at 6-max.