Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:18 PM

Default How do you handle a great run?

As newbs, we all remember what it felt like to have your first really great day/week/month of poker. You flop like a champ, and it seems like you are consistenly making good poker decisions. You bloodbath the game and nothing can go wrong. Then of course, you slow down and realize that the game is harder than you thought...rinse, repeat, recycle.

I feel that knowing how to control your emotions during a good period is also a really important factor in becoming a competent poker player. The inevitable downswings will no longer hit as hard, as you have no high to come down from. I was wondering how other players control the euphoric feeling of an amazing run.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: How do you handle a great run?

wtf? what you are suggesting is like smoking weed and when i get high, i try to suppress it.

something to do while in an upswing: don't spend your moeny, you will need it for the coming downswing
Old 08-21-2005, 03:46 PM

When I started playing online poker two years ago I would have the wrong attitude after a big upswing. I would start to play extra tight out of fear of losing all my winnings. Now when I have an upswing I realize my luck can't continue forever and that I'll eventually lose some when bad luck sets in. Instead of treating upswing money like money in the bank I try to treat it as investment capital.

During a downswing I think the key is to keep value betting against poor opponents and not to let fear affect your play.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something to do while in an upswing: don't spend your moeny, you will need it for the coming downswing

[/ QUOTE ]

Words of wisdom from the battle hardened. Mike Caro and Mason have both said in their writings that a quick way to go broke is to spend chunks of your bankroll. Just pay yourself your normall "wage" and beef up the bankroll.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 PM

best way to handle a great run is to get a totally sweet room at a 5 star hotel, then go to the Crazy Horse.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:33 AM

Buy a plasma TV, sign a lease on an apartment whose monthly rent is 9% of my BR, and finance a new G35.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a plasma TV, sign a lease on an apartment whose monthly rent is 9% of my BR, and finance a new G35.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 PM

This thing happened to me where I would go WAY up and then I would lose all of it. And I mean 100% of my bankroll. I couldn't stop myself.

Than I got sick of that and wrote a superlong post and put it here. And then, I swear to god, the cycle was broken. Nothing a little time on the couch can't fix...

So now when I think I'm good, I just remember the last time I lost 1,700 in a night. That straightens me out real quick.

Marlow
Old 08-23-2005, 01:34 AM

Dont think about results. Ignore em. Awful session the same as a burner. Easier said than done eh.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:36 AM