Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Waiting for the Turn to Protect Your Hand (ala SSHE)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Im new at the table, and havnt played many hands.

Preflop: Oblivious is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Oblivious calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Raising prelop seems like an okay option since you have position and a hand that will play well multiway

Flop: (4.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

Thats a rather scary board, I ought to bet to protect my hand, assuming Im already good of course. If the opponent on my right bets into me on the flop, I should consider waiting until the turn to raise so I can more effectively protect my hand

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Oblivious calls, BB calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Good, no heart. Now lets hope my buddy bets into me again so I can shut out the BB with a raise

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Oblivious raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

What does this call mean? If he has the nut flush and he calls here does that mean he's planning on getting 3 bets in on the river for a total of 5BB total? If he simply reraises on the turn he gets 3BB in on the turn and will get 1BB on the end for a total of 4BB. So he could technically make more by calling and getting to three bet on the river. He'll have to be pretty sure Im going to raise him again for this to work.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>,

what does this betting out mean? how should i interperet it? Initially I think its a desperation bet because he missed his flush draw. So then I think about the straights. Do the lines of betting agree with his possible holding Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Could he be holding 88 for a rivered set? Would he really bet out on the flop with that hand? Why wouldnt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] checkraise? The same goes for 88. The cards that came off seem harmless to my made hand. Or maybe hes trying to get 3 bets on the river with the nut flush.

<font color="#CC3333">Oblivious raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Oblivious calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Can anyone make a read on him after the action is complete?
Old 04-02-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Waiting for the Turn to Protect Your Hand (ala SSHE)

Nice hand. I think this is a good place to wait until the turn to raise.

I would have played the river the same as well, if he has the flush then he'll take more of my chips.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:32 PM

I really like your play here. I usually dont make plays like that, but im seriously going to start trying it out. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Call the flop, and if the heart happens to fall on the turn, you've saved yourself at least 1 SB. If it doesnt, you collect more and better protect your hand...I like it alot.

I would have played the river exactly the same. If he had a flush and played it badly, whatever, he collects. It really seems like a desperation bet to me, and I would definitely not fold to a 3 bet, seeing as Q9 is really the only reasonable hand that beats you.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:39 PM

I like it all the way.

NH.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:03 PM

I'd get suspicious on the river and call. If it's desperation, he's not going to call the raise anyway. I'm not clear what I'm gaining with the raise. Am I being lame?
Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd get suspicious on the river and call. If it's desperation, he's not going to call the raise anyway. I'm not clear what I'm gaining with the raise. Am I being lame?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you are lame, but if so then I'm lame as well. When he bets the river, I call expecting to see a flopped flush.

Edit: I can't think of a hand that he bets here that you can beat.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 PM

I guess the river raise was a bit aggro. Its just so common for someone to make a bet on the river with a hand they think wont win, then give in to curiosity and call with a single pair.

He had 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]