Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 AM

Default regarding travel

After I graduate from college this summer, I plan on going to Vegas for a few months and playing cards until I find something better to do. After visiting Vegas during Bellagio's five diamond classic in November, I thought it might be fun to follow the major tournements and play in side games. I'm just wondering what strategies or tricks do traveling players use to reduce the cost of hotel and airfare. Do they register for rooms and flights six months in advance? Do they regularly charter flights with other traveling players? Do they rely on frequent flyer programs for discounts? Do they ever use discount airlines or take the bus? (From Vegas to LA for example). I don't expect poker players to get any comps past slightly discounted room rates at their hotels. Does anyone have any advice on cutting room rates further?

If traveling players don't have ways to seriously reduce the cost of travel and lodging, it must consume a significant portion of their income.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: regarding travel

After I graduate from college this summer, I plan on going to Vegas for a few months and playing cards until I find something better to do.

A) this is the start of a productive and meaningful life.

b) I hate the poster bc he obviously has been hit with the double curse of Rich and indulgent parents.

or

C) Man thats sounds cool I might do that this summer myself.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:15 PM

my parents are neither rich, indulgent, or supportive.

does anyone have a relavent response?
Old 01-21-2005, 07:29 PM

I just started in on the circuit last April, but I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1) I surf around online for the best hotel deals. I'm not picky, I make sure to bring a cushy mattress cover for bad beds, I bring one of those baby coffee makers, etc. I simply stay at the lowest cost, clean hotels.

2) I do priceline or other last minute airfare deals. For instance, I got an $89 fare from Vegas to Providence to play in the WPF at Foxwoods.

3) I drive to as many events as I can. That way we have transportation and can also bring our dogs instead of boarding them.

4) Both my husband (Domit) and I play full-time, so we offset each other. He mostly plays in the side games, and also helps me out with satellites when he can. He takes some of the pressure off of me, and then when he is running bad, sometimes I cash in a tourney and take some of the pressure off of him.

We are very frugal and manage our money well.

Good luck!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]