Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Leak Ashamed and time to come clean (my story)

[ QUOTE ]
eddy played NL 2/5 @ domino's game a few months back.

got all his chips in on the turn, got callers. they drew 2 outters on him, FIVE times in a row in different hands.

VARIANCE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt its exactly like that we all know eddy is loose at those tables. Even if he did get a good sitaution he might have gotten there by making a poor decision such as play 6 9 flopp 66 7. Ed shouldnt play those games. plus the dom game is harder than the NYC game. Can you believe that..... And i can do business help allieviate variance. No one does business down there...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
eddy played NL 2/5 @ domino's game a few months back.

got all his chips in on the turn, got callers. they drew 2 outters on him, FIVE times in a row in different hands.

VARIANCE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt its exactly like that we all know eddy is loose at those tables. Even if he did get a good sitaution he might have gotten there by making a poor decision such as play 6 9 flopp 66 7. Ed shouldnt play those games. plus the dom game is harder than the NYC game. Can you believe that..... And i can do business help allieviate variance. No one does business down there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Im JK anyway i know there is variance. What i did not know was about the 2/5 when did this start happ whats the typical buy in how often and who plays it .....I want to go back for that sounds juicy
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 PM

In 1/2NL in NYC rooms you would definitely have to be very bad or very unlucky to lose 3 or 4 buy-ins in one session. I've lost 3 buy-ins only once at the club I go to and it was literally with my money-in losing to two-outers twice and a one-outer once. The players at 1/2NL at these clubs in NYC are so terrible it is beyond belief.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 1/2NL in NYC rooms you would definitely have to be very bad or very unlucky to lose 3 or 4 buy-ins in one session. I've lost 3 buy-ins only once at the club I go to and it was literally with my money-in losing to two-outers twice and a one-outer once. The players at 1/2NL at these clubs in NYC are so terrible it is beyond belief.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a two day losing streak there. But to my defense the one day i lost a 3 outer. And the other day, i went to the room piss drunk (another one of my poor decisions). I actually took a cab from China club to Players club. I could barely walk. lost a cool 500. Yes i do have bankroll managment issues amoung others. But again I digress, the play there is awful and you need a ton of bad luck to lose.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:05 AM

I don't personally have the urge to gamble mainly because I deal those games for a living so they just aren't what I want to do on my time off. I have several other bad habits to take their place.

As I was reading this post though, I thought of the Stu Ungar movie. Maybe if you bought that and watched everytime you felt the need to slip back into those bad habits, it would help.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't personally have the urge to gamble mainly because I deal those games for a living so they just aren't what I want to do on my time off. I have several other bad habits to take their place.

As I was reading this post though, I thought of the Stu Ungar movie. Maybe if you bought that and watched everytime you felt the need to slip back into those bad habits, it would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually read the book and it made me want to gamble. Which is crazy it should realy make me not ever want to gamble again.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Hi arod,

Congrats on working your way to the point where you can make $30/hour at poker. Be proud of this.

[ QUOTE ]
At one point i counted but the continous shuffler has almost elminated that advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, the continuous shuffler has completely eliminated that advantage. If you don't know that, I think your "advantage" from counting was probably nonexistent. There is way more to winning at BJ than learning the Hi-lo or whatever; you need to be perfect at a number of skills (basic strategy, eyeing the discard pile, index numbers, count conversions) and you need to carefully choose beatable games and always play your best. All of this will net you about a 1% overall advantage. If you're making $30+/hour playing 1/2 NL, the choice to play BJ seems absurd to me from a profit vs. risk perspective. You'd need a way bigger BJ bankroll to win at the same rate you're winning at NL (5-6 times the size).

Anyway, it sounds like you've already decided on quitting BJ, which sounds like the best choice you can make.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi arod,

Congrats on working your way to the point where you can make $30/hour at poker. Be proud of this.

[ QUOTE ]
At one point i counted but the continous shuffler has almost elminated that advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, the continuous shuffler has completely eliminated that advantage. If you don't know that, I think your "advantage" from counting was probably nonexistent. There is way more to winning at BJ than learning the Hi-lo or whatever; you need to be perfect at a number of skills (basic strategy, eyeing the discard pile, index numbers, count conversions) and you need to carefully choose beatable games and always play your best. All of this will net you about a 1% overall advantage. If you're making $30+/hour playing 1/2 NL, the choice to play BJ seems absurd to me from a profit vs. risk perspective. You'd need a way bigger BJ bankroll to win at the same rate you're winning at NL (5-6 times the size).

Anyway, it sounds like you've already decided on quitting BJ, which sounds like the best choice you can make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if you meant to bro but your post makes you sound like a bit of an ass.

the CSM hasn't "completely eliminated" the advantage of a counter, because not every table you sit at has one.

it used to be 0% of tables had them, now it's "almost" everywhere, which means the statement that it has "almost eliminated the advantage" is uhhh....true

I mean I don't know what OP meant for sure but neither did you right??
Old 07-29-2005, 11:57 AM

No i didnt but i dont have the bankroll to count effictivly. If you play really true you should have at least over 10K to play a 10 min bet table. I dont have the time for it. I counted well for a while a long time ago. i aveged about 24$ an hour. But that was a while of go i turned away from it a bit. Also, when i say the machines i mean the ones at the Wynn not the ones that shuffle while you play. Those arent beatable (not to my knowledge there is 100K prize if you figure a way of cracking it).Plus its surprising i go on tilt in BJ i rarly do the same in poker. When i lose a big hand i loose my cool and tend to bet huge. Again regardless of whether or not BJ is still beatable, im not that good and wouldnt beat it. I admit this and thats why i wont play. Few people act beat BJ with the system prob a smaller perc than of those who are long term poker winners. Its brutal but i love it. Anyway no more BJ, not for me.....
Old 07-29-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi arod,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know if you meant to bro but your post makes you sound like a bit of an ass.

the CSM hasn't "completely eliminated" the advantage of a counter, because not every table you sit at has one.

it used to be 0% of tables had them, now it's "almost" everywhere, which means the statement that it has "almost eliminated the advantage" is uhhh....true

I mean I don't know what OP meant for sure but neither did you right??

[/ QUOTE ]
One more thing i am an ass. I played BJ not to win but mroe for the rush it gave me. I played overly aggressive betting huge. BJ brings out the worst in me. I usally let green blind me and bet huge especially if i start to lose. I play it becauese its more fun to me than holdem, but i decieded to stop playing it because days latter ill have more fun with the money i won in holdem than i will feeling guilty for losing afew K at the borgata. Man i own that place at least 10% of it.