Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Do you change tables when your cards are too good online?

I'm normally a 19.2/8.4/2.1 player at 2/4 on Party. I just finished a session of 35 hands where I saw 34% of flops and won 58% of those flops. Normal stats are 23% and 32%. Clearly I was running very lucky in both starting cards and board cards, since I did not adjust from my normal starting requirements. The game was mediocre to good (about 32% VP$IP).

Do you feel that these stats adversely affect your table image? Or do they help? Should I change tables in this situation or stay? Are there too few people using PT with a HUD for me to even consider this?

What about the opposite situation? You get dealt a large percentage of raising hands that just don't happen and you have to fold. Do you think that raising a lot then folding to tough boards hurts or helps you? Is it appropriate to change tables when you always end up folding after a preflop raise?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Do you change tables when your cards are too good online?

In Harrington on Holdem he mentions something like this. If it looks like youve been bullying the table a bit, you might want to tighten up so they dont play back at you. This is of course barring the chance that they let you run them over with agresssion - in which case, continue to do so.

At shorthanded games I keep a hud-display of my own stats so I can see how I appear to the table, which lets me adjust accordingly.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At shorthanded games I keep a hud-display of my own stats so I can see how I appear to the table, which lets me adjust accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call, I'll have to try that. When I feel like I'm running red hot and the TAGs are just waiting to re-raise, I slow it down just a bit. I play 6max - for instance if I'm in position to steal w T9, maybe I'll just give it the pause-fold to show em I'm totally not full of sh*t lol
Old 12-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Your cards are running hot and you want to leave the table? Are you serious? Over 35 hands? Do you realize that the diffence between 23% and 34% over your sample is only 4 hands?

I understand how you may want to make sure your table image is appropriate...but if you are raising with good hands, then your image will be right. Part of being a good player is adjusting to your varying table image. Say you're not getting cards for a long stretch - fold, fold, fold...playing against attentive players, you may try to steal the blinds from MP if the players think that you are tight.

The majority of players are not that attentive. And I doubt that more than 5% of players are using PT with a HUD(although I would expect more players with them at certain times or when bonuses are available).

Play your hands, and when you get a good streak take as much money off the table as you can.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Its the opposite. If you have been running well your opportunities are better. They will either start to challenge you with weaker hands or fold more if your showdowns have been with good cards. Either way its ++EV.

If your cards are cold change tables I say.