Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM

Default $26 billion

Death toll rising, people without electricty for up to two months. Contaminated drinking water, massive flooding. Will any other countries help? Doubtful.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: $26 billion

[ QUOTE ]
Death toll rising, people without electricty for up to two months. Contaminated drinking water, massive flooding. Will any other countries help? Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you contribute if one of Bill Gates' summer homes burned down? Probably not.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you contribute if one of Bill Gates' summer homes burned down? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, because that would likely not be caused by "an act of God". Your analogy is horrible btw, unless you are implying that everyone in the U.S. is as wealthy as Bill Gates. If you are, then your analogy is even worse.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, because that would likely not be caused by "an act of God". Your analogy is horrible btw, unless you are implying that everyone in the U.S. is as wealthy as Bill Gates. If you are, then your analogy is even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think we need the help of any other country??
Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 PM

No, he is implying that the US is one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. The damage to the gulf coast exceeds tens of nations GDP.

Will other countries help? Sure. A lot? Probably not. Viewed in isolation, that looks really bad. Is it? Not really.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM

I don't particularly think we need help, we are resourceful here. I am just curious to see if anyone will offer some help. My guess is Britain may, logisticaly speaking of course.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this doesn't imply we are all Bill Gates. It makes the point that the U.S. is to Country X as Bill Gates is to average American, more or less. And the whole "act of God" nonsense is ludicrous. You are saying that you WOULD contribute to Bill Gates if his summer house burned down so long as it was due to lightning, meteor shower, or volcano? Yeah, ok.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:34 PM

assuming that it was only Bill Gates' house destroyed I wouldn't donate. Regardless, this is a stupid point to argue about(really).

[ QUOTE ]
the U.S. is to Country X as Bill Gates is to average American, more or less.

[/ QUOTE ] Well yeah this is true more or less, but $26 billion in damage(which is the most recent estimate I have heard) is no joke. I have a bad feeling the death toll will be quite high from this as well. I read in a quote that the mayor of Biloxi said it was their tsunami. I don't know if I quiet agree with that, as I think the tsunami affected way more people, and caused more damage. But make no mistake, this storm is bad. I didn't really realize how bad until I read an article this morning. Now New Orleans is flooding with up to 20ft in some places. This storm is also expected to drop as much as 8 inches of rain farther inland causing more flooding.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:36 PM

Are all the Red Cross people who will help from the US? If Bush asked for help, the UK government would contribute and probably most of Western Europe. Is any of this insured?

Why the persecution complex?

Mack
Old 08-30-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
assuming that it was only Bill Gates' house destroyed I wouldn't donate. Regardless, this is a stupid point to argue about(really).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the point is dead on. But you failed to provide an honest answer with your "if it wasn't an act of god" line. You wouldn't donate to Bill Gates if his house burned down because he's a whole lot richer than you and he has plenty of money to fix his own house. The exact same answer applies to a hurricane in America when viewed by non-Americans.