Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Re: 99 -- possible leak

Definite Leak! 99 is NOT a reraising hand in small stakes holdem. Call the first raise if LAG raiser raises on a wide range of hands--but don't invite a reraise by raising a middle pair with only 2 outs and 5 possible overcards that could hit the flop and beat them--if the CO or LAG are not already in the lead. After the flop : no set no bet.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Definite Leak! 99 is NOT a reraising hand in small stakes holdem. Call the first raise if LAG raiser raises on a wide range of hands--but don't invite a reraise by raising a middle pair with only 2 outs and 5 possible overcards that could hit the flop and beat them--if the CO or LAG are not already in the lead. After the flop : no set no bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is trying to isolate the lag not have a nice family pot that just calling the initial raise will bring.

I dont see the initial play as a leak, once the guy autocaps behind though I am worried but as the flop has come low against an unknown I think it was played optimally. But it is worth bearing in mind even bad loose players tend to have a small range when cold capping preflop.

On the turn I may be tempted to bet/fold a brick but against an unknown in a decent sized pot going to showdown isnt hugely bad imho.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:03 AM

At first glance, I was thinking 3-betting the flop. This looks like an isolation raise, we may have a superior hand. If he caps, ha, not sure what to do.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:47 AM

how about 3 betting the flop and folding to a cap? That way you can be close to sure he's got an overpair. To me calling down after he caps is too expensive a way to find out if he's a (relatively rare) LAG with AK or something. I'd rather fold (to a cap) and watch what he does after the hand and get a better read for the next time.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how about 3 betting the flop and folding to a cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

if we 3-bet the flop, what would you do on the turn? bet/fold, bet/call, check/call?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how about 3 betting the flop and folding to a cap? That way you can be close to sure he's got an overpair. To me calling down after he caps is too expensive a way to find out if he's a (relatively rare) LAG with AK or something. I'd rather fold (to a cap) and watch what he does after the hand and get a better read for the next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was coming to us capped then this big pot would be offering 20-1 I am not folding this at that point you would have to see the turn and try and spike the set.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how about 3 betting the flop and folding to a cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

if we 3-bet the flop, what would you do on the turn? bet/fold, bet/call, check/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, how about bet/fold turn (he's slowplaying us). Check/call river to try induce a bluff if he's got AK (he's folding AK if we bet). Also if we bet the river we don't have to decide whether to call a raise that could be a bluff or could be the slowplayed goods
Old 11-24-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was coming to us capped then this big pot would be offering 20-1 I am not folding this at that point you would have to see the turn and try and spike the set.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I guess we can squeeze a call in here with implied odds, and then check/fold a blank turn. Still works out 1 BB cheaper than calling down.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your advice is wrong. In late-middle or late position, 99 is fine to reraise to isolate a LAG raise. If you have a good image, you aren't inviting a 4 bet by 3 betting a LAG raise - that's crazy talk.

Your advice to cold call a LAG raise with 99 and then play the hand for set value only is terrible under these circumstances.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we bet the river...he'll almost certainly call with AK-AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree that this is true vs. an unknown.