Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 05:00 PM

Default damn limpers

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter

SB (t3040)
BB (t1620)
UTG (t2220)
Hero (t1120)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG Limps
I push over the top

My thinking was I have 3.5 BB left. If I can steal this pot it will increase my stack by half or so. It would seem like an easy push, but at the 5+1 when someone limps they seem to call a raise probably 70% of the time (this could be way off for all I know, but that has been my limited experience). Using easybay's program it shows that if you know your push is going to be called about 70% of the time the push is -EV. So what do you do in a situation like this, you can't really wait for a "better" hand given you have 3.5BB left. Do you just wait for a worse hand but when you are the one open raising and not raising a limper?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Re: damn limpers

Very easy push IMO.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 PM

If he's a habitual limper, just push. You have a pretty good hand for 4 handed, and you can't wait a lot longer with these blinds.

If villain is normally aggressive, you have a tough problem. Is he trying to get as many callers as possible? Probably in a 5+1 he's just too weak to raise, and will fold to your push.

GG
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM

i did some math and even tho its not gonna be correct its gonna be close..

if this guy is trying to trap the BB then he has AAKK and you should fold if you think hes a good player who wouldnt do this unless he had a big hand.. you will lose -400 rounded up, in chips everytime you push his AAKK.

if he holds any other hands that i think limpers would limp with then your a big fav.. i believe he will call 90% of the time 10% you will win +75 58% of time you will win +1560 and 42% of time you will win -1129.. so over all you will win EV+ 506 which makes this an easy push if you put him on all the possible hands i put him on. AA-22 AK-AJ ect..

PUSH unless he wouldnt do this with anything but AAKK
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Well what I keep seeing happening at the 5+1 is people will limp with bad-medium aces, then call a raise all in, leaving me behind when the money goes in. This may just be something that has happend to me a few times and I think its more prevalent than it is, but if it is true, then it makes playing hands like this very difficult.

Thanks for the help
-starvs
Old 05-24-2005, 08:08 PM

sorry i made a error when in my calc in the first post but i still think its a push if they have a wide range of limping hands

if they have AK-A10 A9s-A2s then its about a break even push
if you also add better hands like AAKK and any pp then your in **** creek.. so if thats what you think then this hand is a

FO LD!