Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Moving up (cross-post from SSNL)

Also posted this on SSNL, interested in perspectives from both camps:

I'm certain that this general question has been discussed before, but I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, so...

I'm a casually serious poker player, meaning I certainly don't play for a living and the money doesn't matter all that much to me, but I take the game very seriously from an intellectual standpoint. I usually play small-blind no-limit ($1/$2), and have been absolutely murdering these games. I know that I'm on a good run of cards, but I'm also winning a lot of pots in which I know I don't have the best cards by reading players and playing very strong position-wise. With play and bonuses, my online stake is around $5K.

In the process of bonus clearing I got bored and played some $2/$4 no-limit, and the same thing happened. If anything, the players were easier to push around. So, I decided to see what was going on at the $5/$10 tables, and more of the same. Again, players were easier to push around. Plus, the rewards were greater for pushing people around, because after a few limpers almost every pot is worth something.

Can anyone share their experiences moving between these limits? Are the players actually better and I'm just on a run? I haven't had any trouble continuing to play my overall game at the higher limits, so I'm not too worried about that.

Again, I'm a couple-hours-a-night, single-table-at-a-time kind of guy. Should I be happy for my couple hundred bucks a week or think about hunting for some bigger game?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Moving up (cross-post from SSNL)

all the advice i have:

stay within your bankroll so you can handle swings and be sure to constantly try to improve your game.

cant say much otherwise, or speak to if youre just running well, without seeing any hands youve played or hearing more about your style or analysis.