Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Live Long Enough to Live Forever

For insight into extended lifespan read some of the articles written by Cynthia Kenyon LINK
Old 12-01-2005, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, believing any of this tosh is a waste of the 4th dimension. And it's place on your bookshelf is a waste of the other three.

IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. Eating healthy is a smart move, and making a big effort to do so is admirable esp given how much effort it takes under current American conditions. As for the secondary point of the book, the curing of aging (senescence actually, but aging's become the commonly used term) is something that is very doable and very possibly within our generation's grasp. Do some reading on senescence, what it truly is biologically, how there's a lack of it in some species already in our ecosystem, and then go do some reading on current research aimed at reaching such a state in the human species (Methuselah Mouse is the most public and a good place to start). This would be a good start although the very near possibilities extend much further, for as ZJ pointed out nano-tech and other bio or AI technology could possibly give us the ability to go far, far beyond what a natural lack of senescence would acccomplish. If you don't want to read up on any of that that's fine, but if you are going to be ignorant re: the subject then don't be so pompous as to tell others these things are "a waste".

GoT
Old 12-01-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, believing any of this tosh is a waste of the 4th dimension. And it's place on your bookshelf is a waste of the other three.

IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Frankly, you don't know what you're talking about....

If you don't want to read up on any of that that's fine, but if you are going to be ignorant re: the subject then don't be so pompous as to tell others these things are "a waste".

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I read the first part of the blog, and then saw the OP's comment 'You have to think in the 4th dimension!' - which raised a 'flake' alert.

However, if you'd have read a bit of the discussion, you'd have noticed I had no problem with good nutrition, but it was the rest that I found whacky - and if the book's for popular consumption, it's pretty much a selling angle AFAIC. I also later acknowledged I could be wrong here. Fair enough?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that really stuck out was in your journal article you mentioned something like "many diseases are curable by basic vitamins, but pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know about them" (not an exact quote). This is utterly ridiculous and in the same league as accusing Part Poker of being rigged

[/ QUOTE ]

I said preventable, not curable.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: The title of this post

[ QUOTE ]
ZeeJustin,

Have you seen the movie Highlander? Living forever has its downsides as well, largely emotional in nature.

There can only be one,
El Diablo

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a while since I've seen that movie, but they could always just cut their heads off if they didn't want to live anymore, right?

Suicide should always be an option.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The human body isn't meant to live that long,

[/ QUOTE ]

You could argue that our bodies won't be 100% human anymore. We already have prosthetic limbs. Prosthetic organs aren't that far off.

Also, we will be able to altar our own DNA and how it is carried out. We have already done this in other animals, and have significant impacts on them including altering worms and mice to live the equivelent of almost 200 human years. Eventually we'll be able to use this technology on humans.

It sounds like aging is the process that you can't get past. Aging is a process that occurs in our cells as a result of our human DNA code. We are already able to altar our own DNA, although it will be decades before we perfect this science, but when we can, some serious [censored] will happen.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that really stuck out was in your journal article you mentioned something like "many diseases are curable by basic vitamins, but pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know about them" (not an exact quote). This is utterly ridiculous and in the same league as accusing Part Poker of being rigged

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this not believable. The pharmaceutical industry is humongous. There are natural things one can take that will get rid of certain ailments just as good and possibly safer than a prescription medicine. Even things for emotional problems sometimes work better and are not as addictive. Kava Kava is much safer and less addictive than Benzos and works almost as well. I am not saying that there are "herbal" or vitamin remedies for everything that prescription drugs offer, but it is in the pharmacies best interest to push its own product, rather than a cheaper and safer substitute when one is available. People with mild Bipolar Disorder II are told to try flax seed oil (has a very large concentration of Omega 3's) before trying prescription mood stablizers. And it is successful in some cases. And it is definitely much safer.

I just think it is naive to think that a business would not want you to know about its competitors. The pharmaceutical industry is no different than most other industries; it is designed to make a profit.

craig
Old 12-01-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There are natural things one can take that will get rid of certain ailments just as good and possibly safer than a prescription medicine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely isnt the norm

[ QUOTE ]

People with mild Bipolar Disorder II are told to try flax seed oil (has a very large concentration of Omega 3's) before trying prescription mood stablizers.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, looks like the drug companies arent stopping the spread of information after all. Which is important to note, drug companies arent the one prescribing you the drugs, they cant prescrive you drugs.

you are right, its in their best interest for everyone to not take vitamins and all get sick, but the system is set up as such that thats not really how it works. This is just a giant conspiracy theory that has no merit, but gets tossed around cuz everyone loves conspiracy theories
Old 12-01-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are natural things one can take that will get rid of certain ailments just as good and possibly safer than a prescription medicine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This definitely isnt the norm

[ QUOTE ]

People with mild Bipolar Disorder II are told to try flax seed oil (has a very large concentration of Omega 3's) before trying prescription mood stablizers.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, looks like the drug companies arent stopping the spread of information after all. Which is important to note, drug companies arent the one prescribing you the drugs, they cant prescrive you drugs.

you are right, its in their best interest for everyone to not take vitamins and all get sick, but the system is set up as such that thats not really how it works. This is just a giant conspiracy theory that has no merit, but gets tossed around cuz everyone loves conspiracy theories

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not saying it is a "conspiracy". Is it a conspiracy that drug companies visit doctors and tell them the benefits of their drug in order for them to push it? Drug companies meet with private practices all the time. They leave free samples. Why would they do this?

I don't just think it is the drug companies that are responsible for the "pushing", but the doctors as well. There are doctors that will try other treatments before prescribing medicine. These Dr's are rare, but they do exist. I have very bad anxiety attacks. I have only had one doctor not give me a benzo for them. Xanex is great, but the rebound affect is horrible. Plus, it is highly addictive and one builds tolerance very quickly. This doctor told me to at least "fast walk" 30 minutes a day, take Kava Kava if necessary, and taught me simple breathing exercises. Did it work as well as Xanex? No. But, it helped and put me in charge instead of a highly addictive drug that causes worse stress once it wears off. It didn't need to work as well either. I don't feel this is a conspiracy, I just think the market is setup for quick fixes without thinking of possible long and short term side effects. Plus, Xanex works quickly and dependence doesn't take very long to develop.

Obviously this is just one example and I have already stated that there isn't a herbal remedy for every disease. But, to call it a conspiracy is silly. The pharmaceutical industry wants you to buy their products. They want you to think that it is the only solution, but it isn't always the only solution or the best one.

craig
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shajen,

There can only be one in the end. They start out with a lot and fight until there is only one, who gets The Prize.

Have a good lunch,
El Diablo

[/ QUOTE ]
But in the t.v. show, the Highlander guy trains the annoying sidekick to also be immortal (actually, I think he just says, "Okay, you're immortal now, too." and THEN starts training him.) So couldn't they just keep adding more and more people? That part really confused me.