Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Your relationship\'s effect on your game?

Obviously, I didn't win (WSOP), LOL but I can't shake the name... It happened, just in a paralell universe [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyways, tonight I was in my 3rd trny at ACR ... 1st one was 550 players or so ... 60 paid , bombed out at 14th or 15th place and was hours past... 2nd and 3rd one were near b2b and I was in at the time... one was a R/A one was normal.. Bounced out of the R/A one pretty quickly and was deep into the other trny which had around 190 players... 40 left or so at this point with 4th-5th deepest stack (10 make money) and our daughter wakes up.... I think she has another tooth coming in

I felt horrible because g/f had a rough day today and was on Pain Meds for her teeth ... But she woke up with her and went in and calmed her down. Right before she started crying I forgot to mention I started a 5 person single table trny as well... Anyways, to the point...

She calmed her down, and I went upstairs sitting out of both games even though one was a speed trny and thanked her.. apologized and explained to her why I didn't come right up.. She said no problem .. I said g'night

10 minutes later our daughter wakes up again, and I am pretty caught up in the trny.. In spots on both where it is tough to sit out unless someone is dying ya know (money isn't big but I am playing well and on an even keel for the night as far as bad beats go).

The SECOND our daughter lets out another 2-3 cries "AFTER" I went up and thanked her three times for taking care of her and telling her why I didn't come rushing up stairs she starts wigging out on me, stomping on the floor, yelling crazy crap.. Being her usual psycho stuff.

At that point I quit feeling like [censored] about her having to deal with her cause I was in the tourney ...

Those of you with younger kids how do you handle this ? I mean, I went up there... apologized and told her sorry my toruney would be over shortly if she kept it up more than another 20-30 minutes even if they werent over I would deal with her and she still goes apeXXXX

She then came down, grabbed my mouse when we were yellng and clicked call on a 5000 bet (my stack was 4th deepest at 20K roughly) when I held some crap hand like T9 or something .. The guy obviously took me down as he had pushed his whole stack in ...

Anyone else have to deal with crazy women like this ? And from a women's point of view even though it wasn't huge money the trny had 1st place of like $550 or something, that's decent money to me .. ended up bombing out around 20th I think when top 10 paid .. I caught a bad beat after thaat hand... and one other bad beat... and from there was a mix of bad blind steal attempts and not hitting the cards I needed in coin flips ..

I swear women are a pain in the ass ... How many other people have their relationship with a SO that is directly affected either POSITIVELY or negatively by the game?

We, obviously, aren't happy with each other as it is .. But it ade me wonder.. if all women are this psychotic ? I mean christ I went up and told her thanks and apologized and because I didn't hop up INSTANTANEOUSLY after she woke up a second time I am satan himself - ughhh

I thought of myself as rather valiant for going up and thanking her lol ... Guess she didn't think so !! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Your relationship\'s effect on your game?

[ QUOTE ]

I swear women are a pain in the ass ... How many other people have their relationship with a SO that is directly affected either POSITIVELY or negatively by the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine's pretty happy I have something moderately useful to do, since I've been unemployable for much longer than I've played poker. And she's glad she gets stuff out of it.

[ QUOTE ]

But it ade me wonder.. if all women are this psychotic ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But it ade me wonder.. if all women are this psychotic ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should stick to ring games so you can help take care of your baby. stick to tournys when your g/f is up and can take care of your baby then when she is sleeping play the ring games. All women are psychos but less so if you help with the responsibilities.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:24 AM

Normally I would agree 100 % and I actually used to - However our daughter is over 2 years old now. Her waking up like this happens every 2 weeks or so.. Thank God [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 AM

I've only started playing in Feb and play pretty low stakes. I have a 10 month old baby.

The first thing we're going to buy from my poker profits (keeping a 1000$ bankroll) is a washingdryer which she thinks will make her life so much better. I've got the money now and she's looking for the one she wants.

I get encouraged to play poker in my home [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Next step is to up the bankroll to 2000$ as I'm about ready to move up to 2/4 and then the profit will be used to pay of some debts.

I can play poker, the money is used wisely, everybody happy! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 05:51 AM

You seriously need a laptop and wireless. I have a nice LT here for sale [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 06:39 AM

Mine gave me an ultimatum! Her or poker! I hardly miss
her at all! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 08:35 AM

I broke up with my g/f and won a tourney on PP for $4100 a week later....
Old 09-23-2005, 10:42 AM

So do you think your daughter and girlfriend would rather have an extra few bucks in EV or more care and attention from you?

Quick fact check:
1) Your girlfriend had a rough day and was on pain meds
2) Your girlfriend got up in the middle of the night to help YOUR daughter (not sure if she's her kid too, you didn't specify)
3) TWICE you didn't stop playing poker to go help your kid who's crying and obviously in pain or scared
4) Your girfriend is upset and frustrated with you for #s 1-3 and acts out at you as a result

Your conclusions:
1) "women are a pain in the ass" (I agree, but you deserved it)
2) "I thought of myself as valiant" (I think you were kidding here. I hope so.)

My thoughts:
1) You should take a good, hard, honest look in the mirror and ask yourself if your priorities are lined up properly.
2) You were a completely self-centered, self-absorbed, ungrateful and basically lousy boyfriend / parent last night

I know I sound like I'm being majorly judgemental (because I am), but I've been in the same spot as you many times. I took a month off from poker when my daughter was 6 months old (she's 3 now) and realized how much I took my wife for granted while I was "playing in a really important part of the tournament" or "really juicy game". I am 100% aware of the urge to finish a tournament and the major annoyance of a screaming kid can be when you're playing. But your family is more important. Well, it should be anyway.

My two cents:
1) I 2nd the idea to stop playing tourneys (even SNGs) and play ring when your kid is home.
2) Play at a limit that makes it easy for you to walk away from blinds if your kid needs you.

Yes, you'll give up some fraction of your optimal poker win playing that way.

Off my soap box now. Feel free to flame away, every one.