Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Question about downswings.

[ QUOTE ]
So, on to my question. I play .50/1 at the moment. Assume that I am an average winning player, average winrate, decent stats. What kind of downswings are probably at .50/1? I am trying to increase my poker playing, but I want to know what I am getting into first.

[/ QUOTE ]

The size of the swings depends more on your style. If you're a winner playing a solid aggressive game will have larger swings than if you're a winner playing a somewhat loose, slightly passive game. (You'll have a smaller winrate, but you still qualify as a "winning" player.)
Old 08-12-2005, 11:52 PM

I had a 160bb downswing over 1450 hands at .5/1 full table at party. I don't know if your winrate will change that much. Over the previous 5500 hands I was winning 7bb/100 - that got cut down to a more typical 3.25 at the bottom of the swing. Downswings tend to occur to me when I just hit a long run of missed draws, or someone drawing out on me on the river. If you just lose a few big pots in a row it can have a big effect, and a good player will build big pots when the situation warrants.

If you hit one, review your hands and if you just miss all of your flush draws, of have your trips cracked on the river, etc., don't freak out, just ride it through.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:08 AM

They happen, I dropped 60 BB in 120 hands at .5/1 last night, I flopped sets and 2 pair about 9 times and they lost every time. You just gotta play the cards you aer dealt and hope the deck is kind.