Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-31-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Scary turn bet

Played this hand about half an hour ago. Only played 8 hands at the table so no good reads. Thought the turn bet was pretty scary. Is it really correct to call down like I did?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) CP hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

See u next year [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Scary turn bet

This turn bet usually means nothing. I probably raise, or call the turn and raise the river
Old 12-31-2005, 10:45 AM

I would raise this turn. Donk bets on the turn are usually a sign of weakness, don't miss the oportunity to get in a extra Big bet on the turn.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:01 AM

Pre - ok
Flop - ok
Turn - Hmmm the bet is somewhat scary but the turn card is not so SB is likely no better than he was on the flop (this is somewhat less true out of the blinds who will play a wider range of cards such that the 7 could give 2 pair but still the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is not likely to have helped). So you have top pair good kicker and I'd say you are probably ahead here at least 40% of the time plus if you are behind (say to a stright) you have 4 outs to at least a tie. If you are behind to two pair you have even more outs.

Depending on reads I think you have to at least call down like you did. If this is an agressive player who might bluff you then you might even raise the turn to try and fold the SB if his turn bet is a bluff or at least to get a free showdown.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 AM

:grunching

This is a good line against an unknown, make a note after the hand what he donked with.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Most of the times when someone flops the straight in micros they will checkraise this turn rather then donk bet it. The donkbet may mean two pair but I think I still would raise the turn and call down from there if they stay agro. Though I have no problem with how you played it cause I go softie on the turn a lot to.