Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Best options for a beginner?

Alright, I'm looking for a christmas gift for my younger brother. He's become very interested in poker the last couple of years, plays with his friends pretty often. He's 15, and I'm not sure how serious he wants to get about the game.

I'm looking for something which provides a good introduction to theory/strategy, but nothing too complicated. I already have Super System/HOH 1-2/LLHE (lee jones)/and 4 of the Sklansky books, as well as Andy Bellin's 'Poker Nation' and 'Positively 5th Street' if he's interested in reading any of those.

Just looking for a good starter book, maybe something that covers more than just Hold Em, as he claims to play Omaha pretty often. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Best options for a beginner?

Play poker like the pros ... Muha ha ha ... oh well .. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, I you insist that it must contain more than Hold'em, then I'd go with Supersystem 2

But if not, then Getting Started in Hold'em seems the best beginners book
Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 PM

If you want to entertain rather than teach I would recommend Rounders, my 15 year old nephew just loves that movie and its about the same price...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:33 AM

Consider getting Poker Wisdom of a Champion by Brunson (I suppose). It's filled with 'tales' from the road. I really enjoyed reading it. Tends to reinforce some basic points in a fun to read way.

Anyone ever read the one dealing w/ Bobby Baldwin's stories? Is it similar, as good, not as good?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to second this. IMHO this is the foundation that any LHE or NLHE players needs. To start more advanced would be an oversight, and I don't think there is a similar book that covers the material so well from a beginner's perspective.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to second this. IMHO this is the foundation that any LHE or NLHE players needs. To start more advanced would be an oversight, and I don't think there is a similar book that covers the material so well from a beginner's perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
yep
Old 12-22-2005, 09:07 PM

I found Byron Jacobs new beginners book in my local bookstore today, It seem good as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found Byron Jacobs new beginners book in my local bookstore today, It seem good as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am reading s pre-release of it as well now, but its not in the States until March. So far it looks really good, and from what little I read I'd still recommend GSIHE by Ed Miller first. I do however expect to advise in the future (if the book lives up to my expectations) that Byron's book be read second, followed by SSHE.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 PM

It only deals with limit poker, but is very systematic and to the point it seem .. clear logic and a nice path thru the basics

And it ends with a chapther explaning what is missing in the book and referring to SSH, HEFAP among others for further education.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It only deals with limit poker, but is very systematic and to the point it seem .. clear logic and a nice path thru the basics

And it ends with a chapther explaning what is missing in the book and referring to SSH, HEFAP among others for further education.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Byron is a big fan of 2+2's works and it shows in his writings. If you haven't read it yet I advise reading Ed's Getting Started in Hold'em first before you go too deep into Byron's book, I hope the one-two punch may be outstanding for your core foundation.