Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-06-2005, 05:50 PM

Default weak overpair (nano limits)

Reads: cutoff will raise or re-raise preflop with strong hands and plays any pair aggressively post flop. UTG + 1 is very passive. He called AKs preflop on an earlier hand and check called it all the way to the river after a flop of AK5 rainbow. BB plays nearly anything and usually folds on the flop or turn.

PokerStars .05/.10
Hero holds [9h 9d] in MP2
Preflop: UTG+1 calls, HERO raises, MP3 posts .08 ( all-in ), CO calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls
Flop (11 SB): [6h 2h 5d]
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, HERO bets, CO raises, BB & UTG+1 call, HERO calls.
TURN: (10.1 BB) [Kd]
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, HERO ??? (I checked and called CO bet), BB folded, UTG+1 calls.

River [2s] UTG+1, CO, HERO remain
UTG+1 checks, HERO ??

I wasn't too worried about the cut-off on the turn but was a little concerned about UTG+1 hitting a K.
A2, A5, A6 were reasonable holdings for the CO so the 2 on the river concerned me as well.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: weak overpair (nano limits)

I bet this turn. Evidence that one opponent has a king is nowhere yet. You've second pair in a decent pot. Let the CO raise and force the others to call 2 BBs cold. Checking because you're concerned about "maybes" gives these opponents free cards that will beat you long term.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:09 PM

preflop -- fine

flop -- i'd reraise. the draws are priced in anyway by now, and this is a great flop for you. if the rest of the board blanks out, you should be pulling down a big pot

turn -- lots of choices here; not sure anything is profoundly better or worse than your line.

river -- if the players had equal styles, i'd bet it. you're ahead of a lot of possibilities, including a busted heart draw, 78, 89, a non-set small PP, A5 and A6. You'll get calls from most of them.

but given your reads, why not check and let the CO lead out, which he almost certainly will. You'll get a call from UTG on almost anything. You then can call and see the showdown on favorable terms. If you lead out, you'll either collect less or pay more.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Not profoundly better or worse means do whatever you want and you can't go wrong! There are but two choices on this turn. Check and give the feild free cards. Bet and invest two nines in a decent pot with only one overcard... one of 4 kings that will only be paired say 25% of the time. You must bet this turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM

3-bet the flop. Lead the turn.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not profoundly better or worse means do whatever you want and you can't go wrong! There are but two choices on this turn. Check and give the feild free cards. Bet and invest two nines in a decent pot with only one overcard... one of 4 kings that will only be paired say 25% of the time. You must bet this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the CO were passive, your line is clearly superior. You don't want to miss a bet here. But we're told the CO is aggressive postflop with borderline hands.

So in that case, 1 bet is going in on the turn anyway, and it can be ours or the CO's. The only reason for us to bet is if we think it will lead to CO or UTG doing something that will be of more benefit to us.

I can't get there. If we bet and CO raises, UTG likely bails and we lose this nice passive calling station for the rest of the hand. If CO merely calls us, then UTG calls and we're back where we started from.

Nothing against your line. I just thought the main opportunity for improvement was in re-raising the flop.