Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:54 AM

Default KK hand

20-table SNG 12 players left.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t33885)
MP (t27259)
CO (t13048)
Button (t32896)
Hero (t15606)
BB (t34251)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t2400.

Flop: (t7575) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t7575) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t4800</font>, Hero calls t4800.

River: (t17175) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t8400</font>, Hero calls t7131 (All-In).

Final Pot: t32706

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh Ks (one pair, kings).
UTG has 5c 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: UTG wins t32706. </font>
Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: KK hand

No cont. bet? Unless you got a good read and are totally ready to give up on the hand, its weak tight what you did. Go to bed and feel betta in the morning.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 AM

Raise more pre-flop? Maybe even all-in? You only have 12-13BB's and with a limper, I would just shove 'em

On the flop CB or chk-fold? It seems like you didn't have a plan and just accidently called off all your chips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 AM

Tough spot, continuation bet is really expensive, since the pot is greater than half his stack. Shame you didn't pick up this hand on the Button, or you'd take the pot on the flop. I play this the same, except I lead the turn, and fold once he pushes. If he calls the turn, he definately gets the rest on the river.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 AM

pf is fine. what were you going to do if he bet the flop? even though you were clearly not happy to see the Ace, with no reads i don't know if i can give him credit for it. folding here seems weak IMO. i think i'd have cbet the flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:39 AM

im betting postflop. if he calls or reraises im finished with the hand.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

im betting postflop. if he calls or reraises im finished with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is one overcard really that scary? The ace could aswell scare villain as much as it did to me. I bet the flop and if he calls, I push on the turn no matter what comes. If he reraises my flop bet tho, I would have to go on my reads.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 AM

There's probably no simple, effective, and always-correct way of playing that situation but check-calling off all your chips is definitely one of the worst ways of doing it.

My options would've been to either check-raise the flop all-in, or cont. bet it. Either/or, opponent dependent.

Kirk
Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's probably no simple, effective, and always-correct way of playing that situation but check-calling off all your chips is definitely one of the worst ways of doing it.

My options would've been to either check-raise the flop all-in, or cont. bet it. Either/or, opponent dependent.

Kirk

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, I could have probably taken it if I bet the flop solidly, and my opponent wouldn't have hit a 2-outer.

However, I am not sure I see the advantage of playing it more aggressively. The reason I check/called was that if villain didn't have an ace, he would probably not call my bets. I figured I would give him a chance to bet if he was behind. If he was ahead, I wouldn't gain much by betting. I didn't see that much danger of being drawn out. I am not saying it was the best approach, but there was a purpose to it. Check/calling me look bad, but it isn't always best to be the aggressor.

I was puzzled by villain checking behind on the flop and betting aggressively on the turn and river. Maybe I should have folded.

Preflop, I was concered the small raise looked like a big pair. Maybe I should have raised to 4xBB rather than 3xBB. Pushing might not be terrible, as it might look like a steal, and the pot is reasonably big, so it is not terrible if I am not called. I usually don't like small "please call me" raises with big pairs, and I think I may not play that way so much in the future.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ace could aswell scare villain as much as it did to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I bet the flop and if he calls, I push on the turn no matter what comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that the A is scary to all the hands that we beat means that he's not likely to call us on the flop with a hand that doesn't beat us.

betgo: I like your line; I think it's important to note that it's very stack-size dependent.