Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Pokersuperstars: wake me up when they get to the end

How many elimination matches will they have before they get down to the endgame of this thing. Tune in next week when the same 4-5 players will be playing again.

I get the feeling some if not most of the players are not taking this thing too seriously, nor am I.

-J
Old 11-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Pokersuperstars: wake me up when they get to the end

The structure is very bizarre too, it's completely differnet from a cash game or standard tournament, or even a short handed tournament.

I just have no interest in it.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:39 AM

From what I can tell, it's about to wrap up pretty quickly, assuming that the best two-of-three heads up matches are all in one show. That would leave three episodes to go:

Semi-final #1
Semi-final #2
Final

Although with a six-player table for a show set up for hour-long (or so) matches, the blinds got ridiculous, and explained why there were multiple rounds in the first portion of the tourney, in order for skill to have a chance against luck. But the rounds of sixteen and the quarterfinals have allowed for poker less driven by the blinds, and looks more like one might see at a final table.

BTW, the Superstars III is going to take place in a week or so and air all next year, so this doesn't appear to be going away.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:55 AM

I have greatly enjoyed the playoffs, the quality of the show has improved 10 fold.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:54 AM

I didn't follow Poker Superstars I too clearly. How was the blind structure of that? And if it was good why the heck did they change it up?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:09 AM

The quarterfinals are great compared to the regular season. The heads up matches should be fun to watch.

Scotty Nguyen vs Johnny Chan
Carlos Mortenson vs Todd Brunson
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have greatly enjoyed the playoffs, the quality of the show has improved 10 fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the format had the potential to be the greatest poker tournament ever. The problem is that the blind structure was terrible. I couldnt stand watching too many of the shows because every show I would watch it would be some pro pushing all in with A/7 because the blinds where 50k/100k and he had 700k and was the chip leader. It was insane, I mean the chip leader barely had enough to pay the BB about 5-7 times most of the time. You cant play big stack poker or any poker like that. I mean raising to 5 times the blind is the type of move big stacks do to push the small stacks around, it shouldnt put them all in.

If the blinds would have been normal it could have been the greatest poker tourney on television ever.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:01 AM

Yes, in the elimination rounds this was a huge problem. But now that it is 4 handed, the blinds aren't nearly as big of a problem, and there is a ton of post flop play.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't follow Poker Superstars I too clearly. How was the blind structure of that? And if it was good why the heck did they change it up?

[/ QUOTE ]

PSI (the first one) either had more slowly-increasing blinds or they showed more hands with small blinds. The first one was the best televised poker ever IMO.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Problem with PS2 is that they cut to commercials every 5 minutes...