Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Hand Vs Good Player

[ QUOTE ]
and how much do they bleed off a year to those that always seem to have something when they are pushing hard everything that looks like it deserves the pot.
did anyone think about folding on the flop or 4th street. is that a bad play, and is it so much better to build a big pot with a hand that most of your cards you are looking for can make him a little better hand.

and yes to your question. i would in this kind of spot, try to put as little in this pot i can until i thought i had the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do most of these card we want make him a better hand? Most of the good players I know have a really big range on the button, and I think both his overs to the 9 are good here a lot more often then they arnt. Folding the flop does seem really bad to me. Assuming he does just call the flop, he is getting 4 1/2 to 1 to try to make his hand on the river. Thats enough right there assuming he gets paid when he makes his hand, even if we assume the J and the 10 are dead, and they wont be a lot of the time.

Most of the good players I know could open with a ton of hands there, and its also not that out of the ordinary for him to follow through again on 4th with a lot of those hands after Hiatus just calls that flop. I dont have a problem with just check calling the flop and turn, but folding before the river seems bad to me.

I also think its important to checkraise the flop at least some of the time in these spots. Always check calling here and rarely pushing one seems like it would make you too readable, and would lead to having trouble getting action with strong hands. I think being more passive here is good agaist somebody who isnt gonna put the bet in on 4th without a strong hand. It seems to me that the default for most guys on the button in that spot is to bet the flop and follow through again on the turn with most hands in his range, at least in the online games that Hiatus plays in. I just dont see it going check check on the turn all that often in those spots.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who took a WA/WB line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi etizzle,

What I'm trying to say is that from my point of view, it appears that the villain has a mediocre hand where he thinks he is WA/WB and is betting the river to get a call from AK and fold to raise. Maybe the villain has pocket 7s or something. I don't know when the river bet comes that he had plenty of outs, and it doesn't matter. The point is, his hand reads like an open book when he chooses the check-call check-call bet-a-blank river line, and I think I play my hand very well against this line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you miss that Hero check-raised the turn as well as bet the river, or are you just giving a general example?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 AM

I find this debate fascinating.
Folding is insane, and playing passively is wrong in a vacuum, because his range is so large with a button raise.
Now it might sometimes be right to call down if bluffing history is high and opponent has become ultra tenacious against you.
I am not a fan of raising the turn, as long as you often check raise the flop with made hands, because you don't usually gain much more folding equity. Your main target folding hands are the one folding the flop check raise or the turn for one bet (Ax,Kx type hands). Obviously, if you have been raising the turn a lot recently with made hands and have been called down, because you thought he was too much of a flop turn pounder, then check raising the turn might become preferable.
It is funny you almost posted the same hand one or two years ago when facing an early raise, I was in the check call camp because the raising range was so much narrower then.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:32 PM

Thanks for your input Renaud, good post. I am not sure what else to add. Now that you mention it I remember that hand from a while ago too. Maybe I will try to hunt it down in the archives and see what people had to say.