Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Playing mixed games online

One thing I've recently noticed is that I'm not as successful when multi-tabling multiple different games on line as when I stick to just holdem or just mixed games.

I think this has to do with the different mindsets needed to properly play holdem vs the mixed games. In holdem, much of your money is made by betting your opponents off hands (usually when you both have little). But in the mixed games, you make much more from their bad calls. Hence my mindset isn't switching fast enough between games so that I wind up playing all games suboptimally.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Playing mixed games online

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've recently noticed is that I'm not as successful when multi-tabling multiple different games on line as when I stick to just holdem or just HI/LO games.

I think this has to do with the different mindsets needed to properly play holdem vs the HI/LO games. In holdem, much of your money is made by betting your opponents off hands (usually when you both have little). But in the HI/LO games, you make much more from their bad calls. Hence my mindset isn't switching fast enough between games so that I wind up playing all games suboptimally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Needed to edit my own post due to mind blanking out for some reason and using wrong words.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Out of curiosity, where do you play mixed games online?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM

Put it in the same category as driving on the highway and eating lunch at the same time. You can probably get away with it every now and then, but it undermines both experiences.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity, where do you play mixed games online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I screwed up my post. I meant playing one table of holdem, one of omaha, and one of stud hi/lo
Old 12-14-2005, 05:58 PM

I find that sometimes I'm in the mood for holdem, and sometimes in the hi/lo mood. But I should not mix those two types.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:59 PM

i can't even play limit and no limit holdem at the same time without it having negative effects. the reason is the obvious one i'm sure: it is much easier to focus on doing one thing than multiple things.

i also try to put off on reading particularly interesting 2+2 threads or other internet readings when i'm playing since i know it will get my mind too far off the games.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In holdem, much of your money is made by betting your opponents off hands (usually when you both have little). But in the mixed games, you make much more from their bad calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

You believe that you make much of your money playing holdem from playing better post flop without the best hand. I find that interesting and reinforces what JA Sucker is always saying about missing the flop much more often than you hit it and how playing a hand a certain way will help you win it when missing it.

By you saying you make a lot that way, rather than just adding on by picking up some pots, it implies that it's a necessary ingredient to being a winner at holdem. Do you feel someone can't be a winner at holdem if they can't bluff win a lot of their winnings, as oppossed to just some?