Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: something to think about if you play the $55s+

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you have a real hand when you do the following:

Standard raise preflop, 1 or 2 callers, you're last to act postflop.

checked to you on the flop, you bet, one caller.

checked to you on the turn, you check.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

how often do you do it when you DON'T have a real hand?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:58 PM

Actually quite often. I take this line with one pair hands (even TPTK) all the time unless I am up against a calling station. With a vulnerable overpair I usually wont give a free river, but with small blinds I like checking behind on the turn with weak hands.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:45 PM

I guess I'm not sure that we have defined 'real hand'. Checking behind the turn for pot control with vulnerablility certainly. Checking behind to enduce a bluff is the other avenue I thought we were exploring.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Well Peter makes a good point about this being way more suited to deep stack poker and the situation you gave is just so general it probably won't spark much conversation, but there is definitely a time to do what you've said, both for pot control and to extract value. Depends on too many things to really be able to talk about generally though.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm not sure that we have defined 'real hand'. Checking behind the turn for pot control with vulnerablility certainly. Checking behind to enduce a bluff is the other avenue I thought we were exploring.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an added bonus, but the main reason I am checking behind is that I cannot stand a raise. One pair hands played post flop usually don't win big pots but they sure lose them. If I have 2p or better on a non scary as hell board I fire a lot more, but not always. Also, sometimes I fire a second barrell on air here. If I am up against an idiot, my decisions tend towards always making the same play depending on how the idiocy manifests itself.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One pair hands played post flop usually don't win big pots but they sure lose them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooooo not true in sng poker. Ring games, you're bang on, but this is really untrue here.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well Peter makes a good point about this being way more suited to deep stack poker and the situation you gave is just so general it probably won't spark much conversation, but there is definitely a time to do what you've said, both for pot control and to extract value. Depends on too many things to really be able to talk about generally though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apathy = Peter ?
Old 12-03-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apathy = Peter ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yeah. Sorry. I promised myself I'd never call him Apathy ever. I've known him since I was like 10. Too weird to call him that.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:20 PM

I only check behind when I have a hand that is mediocre but not vulnerable. For example, say I call a raise preflop on the button with AJ and two callers ahead. And the flop come Axxx. I will check behind on the turn because my hand isn't vulnerable to over-cards, yet at the same time could very well be behind.

On the other hand, if the flop comes Jxx, I'm going to bet again on the Turn because my hand is more vulnerable.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One pair hands played post flop usually don't win big pots but they sure lose them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is soooooo not true in sng poker. Ring games, you're bang on, but this is really untrue here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go into PT and see how you do on each type of shown down hands. I'm not at my PT computer right now, but last time I checked one pair hands were red. (Of course some of the time you will improve on the river and not show down a one pair hand here). In the 30's, I would be more apt to bet against a little known player, but not a whole lot. (Again, I am talking deeper stack levels).