Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: KK hand

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that the A is scary to all the hands that we beat means that he's not likely to call us on the flop with a hand that doesn't beat us.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't think that its suspicious that the PFR checks when checked to on a flop with an ace in? That looks like an ace to the other guy if he has half a brain. I think you have to bet that flop, 99-QQ may still call you as they may think the flop missed you and reevaluate on the turn. If you are willing to lose all your chips on an ace high flop at least bet it. If you bet and are check raised I think you can let it go fairly easily. If you are called and checked to at the turn then I have no problem in losing all your chips as you may still scare a weak ace away. When a PFR checks a flop with an ace on last to act then I put him squarely on trapping me, what do you assume?
Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 PM

6 handed I think most aces are raising PF- except maybe AA if he's a tricky player and has a read. Given his stack his limp and flat call says low/medium PP. I can't see the flop helping him the way he played this hand so I might even push this flop- did you have any reads?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:36 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case, I could have probably taken it if I bet the flop solidly, and my opponent wouldn't have hit a 2-outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do like the idea of letting ur opponent bet at you if he missed the flop, you have to give him a little bit of a broader range. With his stack size, that board could fill possible flush and straight draws. In addition, if I were UTG i would think your checking behind might be a little bit suspicious, and suggest strength. Depending on the player, the check behind could also read as weakness. I would probably bet 2/3 the pot on the flop in order to A) Protect the value of my hand, B) Take whats in the pot now and increase my stack by almost 30%, C) Test the quality of his hand, if I get called I might have to throw up and check it down.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:55 PM

You have to cont. bet here, if you're in a spot where a cont. bet seems too expensive, take that as a good sign that you probably should have pushed pf (which I think is the case here).
Old 11-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Your stack was about 12-13BB at that point, right? I think you should've done everything possible to make sure all the chips get in the middle. Granted, it turned out rather bad, but I don't think anyone is blaming you for going broke with that hand, just the way you played it on the flop... although I can see the reasoning in your WA/WB assumption. Hmmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop, I was concered the small raise looked like a big pair. Maybe I should have raised to 4xBB rather than 3xBB. Pushing might not be terrible, as it might look like a steal, and the pot is reasonably big, so it is not terrible if I am not called. I usually don't like small "please call me" raises with big pairs, and I think I may not play that way so much in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

... that part I disagree with. Like I said, you're way too short-stacked, and if you get to the final table that way you pretty much have no chance anyway! . This is one of those hands I would've been content to double up or get out. It just happened to be the latter in this case, but I definitely wouldn't have "walked away" from this hand with any chips left.

Kirk
Old 11-21-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C) Test the quality of his hand, if I get called I might have to throw up and check it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand will not get checked down no matter what his opponent has... I hope you understand that.

Kirk
Old 11-21-2005, 07:15 PM

In this situation I think you've got 2 choices. First would be the safe bet which is all in pre flop. I'm not sure I like this with something as good as KK and hero desperately looking for a double up. Choice two would be a raise to either 3600 or 4800 and then getting the rest in on ANY flop. I don't think folding is an option no matter what happens here. Overall choice two seems to be the best approach if you're looking to win. If this is for obscene amounts of money and moving up is key, then the safe and secure push pre flop is the way to go.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
was puzzled by villain checking behind on the flop and betting aggressively on the turn and river. Maybe I should have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

A player might check behind on the flop with an ace here, wondering if you are slowplaying a set. Then, when you check the turn, he bets his ace because he thinks you don't have one. When you just call, he decides to bet the river also. So, there is a decent chance he has an ace here.

This spot pretty much sucks. If I decide I'm going to play the hand, I would play it as you did. If you are behind, he is calling any bets, so at least this way you get money in if you're ahead. Sometimes he will hit his 2-5 outer, but I think in general this play will get you the most chips in the long run.