Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Sometimes I just don\'t know what I\'m thinking

Later stages of the UB 5+R 10,000 guaranteed. Top 70 spots pay, I'm have about an average chip stack with ~T20,000 with blinds at T300/600 with a 50 ante. About 160 left, I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack. My image at this table has been incredibly tight (I've only been playing about 9% of hands) so I decide that I'm going to do something loose, aggressive, possibly reckless and probably stupid.

I open limp QTs in EP (which I know was a mistake, I should have either mucked or raised). It folds to an aggressive player on the button who has me covered and makes it 1200 (it's a steal attempt 90% of the time). I limp re-raise to 3600, he calls. Flop comes T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet 3/4 pot and he instantly pushes.

I'm now 90% confident that he is on some kind of draw. I'm sure he doesn't have an overpair or a set because he would push just about any PP pre-flop. He could have T9, but I'd say it's a remote chance. I think his most likely hand range is something like Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Kx [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or possibly Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Jx.

Now I don't mean for this to be an "I think I'm ahead, should I call" thread, but I do have a couple of questions.

Given my read, I am ahead, but only very slightly, with at best 55% equity. I'm in a situation where the stacks are deep and I could easily coast for a while and not have to worry about putting myself in these marginal situations. I am, however, only sitting on an average sized stack and if I want to be able to bully people, I am going to need a big stack.

So my question is, is this a situation where I have to take the effective coin flip?

EDIT: Sorry, the blinds were too low
Old 11-17-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Sometimes I just don\'t know what I\'m thinking

if you're confident you're in a coinflip, absolutely, theres a ton of money in the pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:52 AM

Wait...you are 90% sure his min raise is a steal? Hm...
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 AM

You shouldn't be thinking "How did I get myself in this mess," rather "What does my opponent have and do I have the right odds to call?" Like exitonly said, if you think it's a coinflip, call.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 AM

It was based on a read and his play of other hands. It'd be hard for me to tell you why I was so confident without giving you a complete hand history of the 50-something hands leading up to this.