Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 AM

Default 22s: flop a boat from SB -- how to extract maximum?

Seat 1: HERO K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2,360 in chips)
Seat 2: loveless7 ($2,370 in chips)
Seat 4: bannanar ($1,365 in chips)
Seat 6: RdSxNation ($1,925 in chips)
Seat 7: East End Kid ($1,940 in chips)
Seat 8: DGD1963 ($2,685 in chips)
Seat 9: trips king ($2,355 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
HERO posts blind ($75), loveless7 posts blind ($150).

PRE-FLOP
bannanar folds, RdSxNation folds, East End Kid folds, DGD1963 calls $150, trips king folds, HERO calls $75, loveless7 checks.

FLOP K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HERO checks, loveless7 checks, DGD1963 bets $150, HERO calls $150, loveless7 folds.

TURN K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HERO checks, DGD1963 bets $300, HERO calls $300.

RIVER K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HERO bets $1,760 and is all-in...

Should I have raised the turn instead? I was hoping that villain had the case K. Obviously he didn't. Will any worse hands look me up here for 500 or so? Should I checkraise the river? In the chat box, he said "nice buy", so obviously he didn't think I had anything but didn't have anything himself. By the way, villain in this hand was getting way out of line postflop, bluffing when checked to nearly every time.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: 22s: flop a boat from SB -- how to extract maximum?

Is check/call flop, check/call turn open push river a standard line when you flop a monster out of position against an overaggressive villain? How do you guys play hands like this? (sorry about the shameless bumping, I just need help with these spots....)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:18 AM

Some times I like to min. bet against an aggressive one to get them to raise. If they've bet all-in multiple times, sometimes I just check it, let em bet all in and call.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:43 AM

pushing the river was retaded. you could have gotten him to call a smaller bet to extract more. perhaps he would have pushed you all in smelling weakness. i value bet here and give him odds where he has to call
Old 10-13-2005, 09:45 AM

I'd minraise the turn and value bet the river if he calls.

really don't like the river push either, it's never getting called.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 AM

river push was the worst part

but i'd also like to put in a small raise on the turn
Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not really valuebetting this river. Value betting would be when you've got a semi-weak hand, but you think there is a decent chance you could be ahead.

I'm pretty sure hero is WAY ahead here.

The idea here is to 'massage' his chips into the middle as I like to say. Make him feel comfortable putting in small amounts, until he realizes half of his stack is in the middle.

I think by checking the the turn he may check behind, so this worries me. But his min bet on the flop could indicate that he's trying to take the pot cheaply.

So, I would minraise (or a little more) on the turn after you check, which I do believe is still the best move, since he seems like he wants to take it from you and he also thinks he can do this by minbetting. The idea is to get enough of his chips in the middle that he feels he needs to call when you bet the river. Pushing would still be bad as he can easily let it go.

Betting 1/2 pot or less could give him the opportunity to raise you, but he probably won't. He'll probably fold to most river bets.