Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Living on your own for the first time

she's in grad school so when i visit i stay in the house she is renting.

i agree that a normal guy living at home at 24 is going to have a tough time having a girlfriend
Old 10-06-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Been thinking about this for a bit ever since I turned 24 a few weeks ago. Been living at home all my life, even through college. When do you all think is the "right" time to get your own place and start off on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

If youre a man you should be out of the house for good at 18 but absolutely no later than 22. After that age, if you live at home, everyone just thinks youre a loser, regardless of job, income, whatever. Not to mention what the heck are you going to tell girls? "Be quiet as we go to my room, ok? I dont want Mom to wake up."
Old 10-06-2005, 09:50 AM

I moved out at 19, because I happened to have a few friends moving out at the same time, and we found a killer house. Move out. Best experience ever. Dont wait until you are tied down to do it, you MUST experience living on your own when you are young single etc.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all this food and clean clothes that appear magically is a real plus

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it about time you gave your mom a break?
Old 10-06-2005, 09:57 AM

Hey Warik, I'm in the same situation except:

-No degree / regular job
-I've lived away from home for a while before moving back (I was working in a city that I didn't like so I came home).

Basically, you have to ask yourself what you'd like to do that you can't do at home, and then move out if whatever that thing is, is important enough.

Basically, the only reason that I'd leave home right now would be if I wanted to travel to another country/province, or if I earned enough to buy a house and fix up the basement, in order to rent it out to college kids.

The food IS awesome, and I could be way off here, but I don't think living on your own will be too much of a shock: just a few more bills to keep track of. Don't worry about pissing off your parents when you do, though, they'll probably help you move in and they'll enjoy seeing what you do with your first place.

I guess a large part of your comfort while staying at home depends on if you can instantly move if you wanted to: have enough money for first/last, and furnishings liquid at all times, and you don't have to worry about this at all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

A line of credit works too, I guess.

Like Daryn and Warik, I'm 24 and living at home.

As long as you like your situation, you're saving a ton in rent/interest costs on a mortgage.

--Dave.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all this food and clean clothes that appear magically is a real plus

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it about time you gave your mom a break?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you're living at home, you should be doing your best to get all your laundry done, cooking occassionally, buying household stuff occasionally, whatever. Basically trying to contribute as much as possible.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved out at 19, because I happened to have a few friends moving out at the same time, and we found a killer house. Move out. Best experience ever. Dont wait until you are tied down to do it, you MUST experience living on your own when you are young single etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to second this (even though I live at home).

I spent a summer living with a couple guys from my hometown (we went to the same college), and had an absolute blast! Best summer of my life... well, second best, but still good. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 10:14 AM

I lived at home until I was 26, then bought my own house about 15 miles away from the folks. My situation was pretty similar to yours. I could have stayed, they didn't bug me or anything.

The move got me closer to work, but was not a necessity. There was no real specific reason or anything; the time was just "right" for me. I have no regrets, but now I don't discount the comments about the money savings so much.

Apartments and houses have costs (a lot of which you may not see or think about at the outset), in both time and money. I could have, in theory, saved a ton of cash not paying this mortgage/utilities/etc for 3 years, but to me, it is money well spent, building up equity in a nice home in a nice place. If you have the money, I seriously advise buying someplace instead of renting.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Wow, lotta replies.

Re: the 18'ers, I'm reluctant to make such a big decision based on an arbitrary number. It's the equivalent of having to be 16 years old to drive or 21 years old to drink alcohol. Know what I mean?

Yea it is a whole lot of new responsibilities and experiences. Talked to my dad about it and his whole thing was that I should be looking to meet a nice chick and get married before I move out, which I'm not sure is necessarily what I want to do. It would not be fair for me to be so selfish... I should make an effort to give the ladies the opportunity to enjoy me while I'm single. (heh)

The weird thing is that my home life is completely unlike anyone else's I've been told about. My parents literally want nothing from me. No rent money, no help for utilities - nothing. Never been asked to do my own laundry or iron my clothes. Every penny I earn either goes toward my minimal expenses, my investments, toys, and savings. [censored], I did my mom the favor of buying some milk on my way home from work one day and I had to fight with her so she'd keep her damn $3 in her purse.

It's a sweet deal but in the back of my mind I'm afraid so much comfort might be -EV in the longrun.

DavidC ask a good question: "Basically, you have to ask yourself what you'd like to do that you can't do at home, and then move out if whatever that thing is, is important enough."

What can't I do at home that I want to? Chicks pretty much; however, I've always been sorta shy so I don't think my own place will magically make me start bringing home a new one every weekend. Plus with a mortgage (I would never rent unless I had to), utilities, food, etc... we're talking upwards of an extra $2,000 per month.

Dunno how you guys' home life was, but there's really nothing driving me out of there except the thought in the back of my mind of "hmm, maybe I'm getting too old," which is why I'm reluctant.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DavidC ask a good question: "Basically, you have to ask yourself what you'd like to do that you can't do at home, and then move out if whatever that thing is, is important enough."

[/ QUOTE ]
Its kind of hard to put a dollar figure on life experiences, such as living on your own.

Also, you mortgage figure is a little high, since hopefully you have friends that can room with you and split costs. If you don't have friends, though, I guess $2k is about right.