Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 09:32 PM

Default 2/4 JJ

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($375)
UTG ($1247.55)
MP ($444.5)
CO ($734.5)
Hero ($414.5)
SB ($478)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $16.

Flop: ($54) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $75</font>, Hero calls $75.

Turn: ($204) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $150</font>, UTG calls $150.

River: ($504) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $504

UTG is fairly solid though not overly so. He took a LONG time on the turn call. Nearly his entire bank.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: 2/4 JJ

hey, what did you put him on the flop? after minraising UTG and calling reraise OOP, then overbet the flop, interested in possible hand ranges.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:35 PM

Pocket pair was most likely. I'd only been at the table 3 orbits so I hadn't yet seen him overbet out like this. Not sure if he's tricky enough to do that with a queen, but I didn't see much value in raising the flop.

edit: or a draw is possible, since newbs like to min-raise with drawing type hands. Who knows.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 PM

I play it about the same but I'd consider raising the flop if villain will lay down AA/KK. I don't usually reraise JJ preflop, but it kind of depends on the table.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:37 PM

A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? TT? KK?

I like your line. After he checks the turn, it looks like overcards, but overcards don't call a bet there. I'm definitely checking the river through, since there's obviously no way overcards call anymore, and the flush just hit.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:00 PM

I think most likely hands are Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], AA/KK in that order. On the flop he tried to bully a preflop re-raiser with a scary flop. On the turn, he picked up a flush draw, on the river he wanted to check/raise. That's the thinking behind the Ax[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The AA/KK are obvious considerations. And all of those hands are min-raised preflop at times.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:16 PM

Whoops, didn't notice that the first raise was a minraise. That makes diamonds a lot more possible: AJ, AT, KJ?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:20 PM

That was sorta my question. He took so long on the turn call that I knew he had to have a pocket pair. So I wasn't sure if there was some merit to betting the river again, and getting hands that beat me to fold (AA/KK).

I had been playing pretty tight til this point too, I thought Villain respected my play and might fold AA/KK to a river bet.

Does he really check/call turn with diamonds? Doubtful, when he might very possibly be drawing to just a flush.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:51 AM

Are you guys really putting villain on backdoor flush? if so, i either completely misread several posts or you are reaching bigtime. bigtime.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:58 AM

Im not positive I like your turn bet but I thuink you won this hand. I cant see AQ or 99 overbetting then going into a shell once you call. like 99 would c/r turn if they check, AQ would minimally block bet river.

Could be a very scared AA or KK, and thats one brave turn call if so, (and poor turn check once they overbet) so I think your read of a low pp is good. Thats why I dont think I like the turn bet, but it seemed to work (I'm reaching on this street)

A river bet might have value to either: Get AA or KK to fold, if you push they've plated scared would be a tough call
if you bet small enough, extract more from any small pp which has come along thus far.

Thing is, you / someone mentioned lots like to min raise with drawing hands, and this board is very draw-ful. Clubs and JT. (Can't put vilalin on diamonds...) Check / calling the turn with either of those is iffy, but possible. JT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is impossible since you have the Jc. Obv no value from river there.

Jt is even more unlikely given you have 2 jacks. I dont know what your question is, but I'm not positive I like the turn bet, but I dont really know if I dislike it. Preflop is good. (I like flop, too, calling the overbet, raising is risking too much to price out a draw, whereas you'll get nailed by trips or underfull, with the only pos is maybe folding AA KK)