Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Ted Lawson

How is this guy in the top 15 of chip count after Day 2(3)? From watching the few hands of the Omaha WSOP, he looked liked a horrible player. Anything at the tourney who has played with him, your thoughts? Is he getting lucky again?
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Ted Lawson

I think he's done well in a few other tourneys lately.

It seems to me he may be a decent player, but just didn;t really know omaha all that well when he played it. Many players misread their hands in Omaha, especially if they are used to games like Hold'em, and I also hear it is common for even good omaha players to do so.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:02 PM

The expression on Freddie Deeb's face when Lawson called out the straight he didn't have during the WSOP Omaha tourney was priceless. I think this guy just comes off as more of a fool than he really is. One would think he must be somewhat decent at poker or he is extrememly lucky, who knows.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:10 PM

maybe he uses the fact that he comes across as dumb to his advantage. i don't think it is luck or a mistake he is doing as well as he is.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:36 PM

it's poker. people get lucky. also skilled players win more than their share. it's almost impossible to use what you know about ted lawson (next to nothing) to deduce if he is a good player or not.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 AM

These threads about Lawson shouldn't even have happened. Deeb had 88855 vs Lawson's 55588 - Lawson potted, and Deeb just called. Deeb overestimated Lawson during the final table, and should have potted Lawson w/ the 8's full and busted Lawson right there.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These threads about Lawson shouldn't even have happened. Deeb had 88855 vs Lawson's 55588 - Lawson potted, and Deeb just called. Deeb overestimated Lawson during the final table, and should have potted Lawson w/ the 8's full and busted Lawson right there.

[/ QUOTE ]you dont know how to play PLO very good huh?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't recall the hand off the top of my head, but if 8s Full was NOT the top boat, then his call made a lot of sense. saying he should have potted is results oriented thinking at best.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't THE stone cold nuts (Which, I do know you need - thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), but what I'm saying is that Deeb - he even said it HIMSELF - that he gave Lawson too much credit... and that was the hand that should have broke/severely crippled Lawson.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM

There were two overcards to the 8. The final board was KJ885.

Watching the telecast, though, I can't believe Lawson would've played any better hand than Freddy's so slowly on the other streets. He only sprang to life when the five showed up on the river. He would've bet any two pair or set on the flop -- Freddy should've raised with his boat.