Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Desired Bank Roll

I play at Stars and I'm currently playing on the $0.10/$0.20 tables. I usually play three tables at a time and I want to move up to the $0.25/$0.50 tables. What is a good starting bankroll for that level to play three tables? 400xbb? 500xbb? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Desired Bank Roll

As per the FAQ at the top of the page, the recommended minimum roll is 300 BB's. If that seems too small, then there is nothing wrong with waiting until you have a 500 BB roll. Waiting too long, however, is -EV, because you're winning less than you could be winning. OTOH, you don't want to move up too early and blow your roll against the tougher opposition. Make sure you're comfortable with both your skills and your roll.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Thanks wookie. I saw that in the FAQ, but I was wondering if you're playing 3 tables at the limit, what a good cushion over the 300 bb's would be. I'm comfortable with my skills, just don't want to jump up too early and have to drop back down when a bad streak hits because I didn't have enough BR to cover three tables. Would a decent formula be 300xbb for one table and then 100xbb for each additional table you play?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:31 PM

That's not really necessary. Playing more tables does not increase variance. It only increases the number of hands per hour. This means you can drop more BB in less time, but you can also drop just as many BB over more time (but same # of hands) if you single table. I tend to sit w/ 50 BB, so I couldn't play more than 6 tables w/ that roll, but it's not a higher variance move to do that.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the info Wookie. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:33 AM

Is there any reason (read: advantage) for sitting with 50BB as opposed to the 25 that Partypoker picks by default when you pick a seat?

Steve
Old 11-21-2005, 03:59 AM

Waiting until you are comfortable is never -EV. But yeah, at 500 BB unless you have a really good reason not to move up, it is time to move on up.

To the east side.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any reason (read: advantage) for sitting with 50BB as opposed to the 25 that Partypoker picks by default when you pick a seat?

[/ QUOTE ]
Buying in short/big at limit is a debatable advantage/disadvantage at best. Only at the extremes does it seem to affect your tablemates' behavior: a 200 BB stack might cause some opponents to tighten up against you, and a 10 BB stack might cause them to play you more aggressively.

At Party I usually just do the default 25 BB, and rebuy in the rare event that I get down to 12 BB.

The default amount varies between sites - at Stars the default it's unrealistically low (10 BB, I think) for some reason, and at UB it's 50 BB.

(Edit in bold) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 04:02 AM

I have about 4000BB of 1/2 where I was playing the past 3days

being rediculously overrolled is soo fun .. as is overlagging the game, and still destroying it

I think comfort levels are more important that raw #s of bb, considering how fast you can build a roll, if you are a hardcore bonuswhore

bankroll grows faster than skill level .. also assuming you will be a winner(and at the same rate) at the next level can really be a mistake, each new level has its own nuances and getting used to that takes some time.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:08 AM

I need to try this bonus whoring stuff, anybody know where the best ones are right now? Right now I have about $160 on Partypoker (obviously not enough to get maximum value out of bonuses, but I got what I got).

Steve