Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 09:44 PM

Default pre-flop decision

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t25827)
UTG+1 (t22592)
Hero (t22884)
MP2 (t18170)
MP3 (t20863)
CO (t6294)
Button (t5151)
SB (t29582)
BB (t29541)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1500, UTG+1 calls t1500, Hero calls t1500, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t7500) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: t7500

i'm new to table, no real reads yet.
anybody else hate the limp?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: pre-flop decision

It's questionable, you're in early position so a limp isn't terrible, but if you raise you may take the pot down right there. If you do indeed raise don't get commited if someone comes over the top of you as you may be dominated.

The ace sucks on the flop, and at this stage of the tournament a good sized raise could put someone off A9-Aj even AQ, especially with that mini raise preflop he's bound to have an A.

JMB
Old 10-22-2005, 09:50 PM

I would have attacked the blinds and the limpers with that hand by betting 7500. Unless UTG was limping with a powerful hand because the table had been aggressive, he probably isn't calling, both blinds are most likely not calling, and I doubt UTG+1 is going to call here, although out of everyone he is most likely to call.

Raising that amount is significant to everyones stack, and everyone but UTG+1 is going to be squeezed since they are not last to act (both blinds are going to fold unless they got a monster here, and UTG is either pushing over you or folding). You'd probably pick up a 5250 pot here by doing this, and if you get reraised, you got a good hand to go one on one with depending on who does what (if one of the blinds goes all in, fold, they aren't likely to bluff there).
Old 10-22-2005, 09:50 PM

You folded because ... ??

The limp preflop is fine, although I probobly would have pushed. A good size raise here (7000-10,000) will commit you to the hand, so if your going to raise, its a push.

I think theres enough dead money in the pot that a push would be profitable. (5,250 which would increase your stack by around 25%)
Old 10-22-2005, 10:03 PM

hand convertert screwed up, somebody pushed for 20k on the flop. i'm just wondering about preflop
Old 10-22-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have attacked the blinds and the limpers with that hand by betting 7500. Unless UTG was limping with a powerful hand because the table had been aggressive, he probably isn't calling, both blinds are most likely not calling, and I doubt UTG+1 is going to call here, although out of everyone he is most likely to call.

Raising that amount is significant to everyones stack, and everyone but UTG+1 is going to be squeezed since they are not last to act (both blinds are going to fold unless they got a monster here, and UTG is either pushing over you or folding). You'd probably pick up a 5250 pot here by doing this, and if you get reraised, you got a good hand to go one on one with depending on who does what (if one of the blinds goes all in, fold, they aren't likely to bluff there).

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the raise to 7500 here. I don't think we can fold if one of the blinds move all-in and does not get called.

Say the BB moves in, the pot will be: 34134
1500 (limp)+ 1500 (limp) + 7500 (our raise) + 750 (sb)+ 22884 (BB' all in)

We will have only 15384 left to call, so we will be getting pot odds of 2.2-1.

If villain would makes this move with JJ+ and AK, our equity is about 33.5%, a call would be +EV since we only need 31% with those pot odds (assuming I did not mess up the math).
Old 10-22-2005, 10:14 PM

I think the blinds are too big to limp with TT. Unless you have very good reasons to believe that the open limper is trapping with a big pair, you should definitely raise here.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the math, I wouldn't expect either blind to go all in without much of a hand in that spot (QQ-AA and AK) but JJ isn't out of the question either. Since the math says it's +EV to call then, then I was wrong, a call there is good, I only said that without calculating out the odds because I wouldn't expect any hand besides one that had me dominated or AK to do that, and figured 15K in chips is still good enough to survive there. That said, I wouldn't expect either blind to call that raise or go all in, and think you'd take down the pot there. I doubt that anyone is going to want to call here besides a premium hand or AK because of the raise size.

Thanks for the math, I would have missed out on a profitable situation there. Also, if one of the UTG guys went all in (especially UTG+1) I'd call cuz I'd think their ranges are better than a blind in that case, since blinds have to be fearful of the UTG guys also.